XF100 - XLR controls rattle? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XF100 - XLR controls rattle?

Hi -

I just received an XF100 I purchased from ebay and while I am still waiting for a new battery charger to arrive to be able to turn on the camera (it didn't come with one), I had a question:

While inspecting the camera and moving it quickly from side-to-side, I noticed that the XLR controls on the left-front-side of the handle-bar make a little rattling noise as the switches move back and forth the tiniest bit in place due to, once again, the tiniest bit of give no matter where they are set.

I just wanted to know a) if this is normal or something I should be concerned about and b) if it's normal, I assume the internal mic does not pick this up?

One would think that the plastic cover for those controls would lock them in place, preventing this movement. Maybe my cover is just a little loose?

Thanks for the help!
Joel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: XF100 - XLR controls rattle?

I've never noticed that before but having picked mine up and gently wobbled it they do indeed make a very small amount of noise. Having used the camera for over six months on almost a daily basis I have never heard that noise on footage I have shot, (I normally shoot one shotgun mic and the onboard for ambient). Bottom line, I wouldn't worry, it shouldn't be an issue. It might be an idea to do some test footage though before leaving feedback on eBay etc.
David Mepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Perhaps the thumb releases on the XLRs are a bit loose until an XLR is inserted?
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, David! That's what I was hoping to hear. I will do some tests this weekend once the battery charger arrives and see how everything sounds.

Dave, it's actually the audio controls on the left-side of the handle - opposite the actual XLR inputs. These controls: http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app...o-controls.jpg

For example, the switch between Auto and Manual rocks a little back and forth, producing a little clicking sound when the camera is moved aggressively - something I don't plan on doing often but could happen sometimes.

I'm maybe being paranoid; just trying to cover all my bases as this particular ebay seller has seemed a little sketchy.
Old November 1st, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Just an update on this: I received the battery charger and was finally able to turn the camera on. I did some tests and can definitely hear the rattle in the recordings. Every time I move the camera left or right too quickly or up and down at any speed, an audible click can be heard as the switches settle into place - basically making the on-board mic useless for any kind of run-and-gun-type shooting.

Upon further inspection, I discovered a chip on the inside-bottom of the little shield that covers the audio controls, leading me to believe that at some point, something impacted the camera there and must have knocked the switches loose (or looser than normal).

I'm in the process of returning the camera.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
New Boot

Hopefully this issue is not widespread. I spent the extra money over the XA10 to avoid this issue.
Ashley Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:53 AM   #7
New Boot

It's definitely not a widespread issue. Sorry to hear about your camera damage. I have been so impressed with mine that yesterday I had the confidence in this range enough to blow my savings on the XF300. Now my only problem is not being able to fit it in the PELI case... Ah well, something else to save for.
David Mepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #8
New Boot

So after waiting around 2 months, my XF100 arrived and has a small amount of rattle. :/
Ashley Irvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hi Ashley - Since I first posted this, I've had the chance to play around with a new XF100 and as David said, a small amount of rattle is normal. I didn't notice it in the recordings at all and doubt you will either - unless you are rapidly twisting the camera from side to side. In that case, a small bit of cotton under the plastic shield would do the trick.

The camera from ebay I initially reported on had a much louder rattle during even the smallest movements.

So I would definitely do some tests before you rush to conclusions about the camera you received. I bet it's just like any other new XF100 and you won't hear a thing in the actual recordings.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #10
New Boot

Thanks for the reply Joel. I initially heard the noises during normal handling in a quiet room. With headphones on, the rattle makes about the same level of noise as using the zoom rocker on the handle or the start/stop button up there.

Not a huge deal, and I highly doubt it'd be heard outside.
Ashley Irvine is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders