What Tripod are You Using with Your XF100/105? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 27th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What Tripod are You Using with Your XF100/105?

Just ordered an XF100 and have been mulling over tripod options. Are there any owners out there that can tell me what they've been using and how it's been working out?

My deployment will be the cam, battery, Rode NTG-1, and 1-2 Sony V1 wireless receivers.

The Vinten Vision Blue looks great, but I've read in various places on this site that the XF100 is too light to balance properly. That has me leaning towards the Sachtler FSB-4 with Speed Locks. (Mostly because of positive expiriences I've had with the FSB-6 through recent rentals) But also would consider something from Miller or Gitzo. My max price is probably $1500.

I've spent a lot of time with a 503HDV head on CF sticks (XH-A1s) which I thought was great until I rented a FSB-6 with Speed Locks--blew my mind. I'm familiar with some excellent large systems from Sachtler, Vinten and Miller from freelancing in the TV world, and had no idea that there were similarly smooth heads for the little cams.

Anyone want to share about their set-up/ experiences?
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: What Tripod are You Using with Your XF100/105?

I am using a Manfrotto, the model number escapes me right now.

I'll have to check...

Craig
Craig Beckta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Check out the posts in the "Tripod Sticks and Heads" section up the Index page, plenty of feedback on suitable contenders.

The Sachtler you mentioned is a great piece of kit if you can live with the "stepped everything" nature of the beast.

The issue with light cameras and the Vision Blue (and other variable counterbalance heads) IS being addressed.

At this point it's a bit of a race between myself and Vinten to see who comes up with the most cost effective system first, but, one way or another, an answer will be coming.

In the short term it would be worth asking Peter Harman at Vinten ( Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com ) AND Barbara Jaumann at Sachtler ( Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com ) whether your particular setup suits a particular rig.

They are the Camera Support Product Managers for their respective companies and neither of them will sell you junk and will never let you buy something innapropriate AND they will sort you out with test drives of what they believe to be appropriate gear.

All it takes is a couple of mails, although, they are members here and visit the forums frequently, so may pick this up anyway (though if it was up in the Tripod Sticks & Heads section it would be a damn site faster!).

Personally, I'd advise giving Manfrotto a gigantic swerve as simply not worth the trouble, others would disagree, but read my reviews in the Articles section, top of every page, should tell you enough.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply and recommendations Chris--your reviews are awesome! (sorry for the incorrectly placed post on my part)
Vince Manganello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders