Close up lens for XF100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #1
New Boot

Close up lens for XF100?

Has anyone experimented with close up lens or has any thoughts or recommendations for using one on the XF100?
Robert Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Close up lens for XF100?

I have the Canon 250d 58 mm thread closeup lens and use it on the XF100. It works very well. I haven't noticed any degradation of the image quality whatsoever. It seems to work best at the mid range of the zoom. At full zoom the depth of field and distance range for focus is pretty narrow, but is still useable. It's actually a very nice lens for the price.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Go Cycle

Save some money and check out TIFFEN's diopter 58mm set.
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
Major Player

The Canon 250D at a whopping $90 has two elements and will probably have less CA and corner softening than cheaper single-element diopters. I have a cheap ($20?) diopter as well and the difference is noticeable. Haven't tried the Tiffen set.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #5
Go Cycle

Good point Pat: Not that much in price.

The Tiffen set has numerous diopters for different focal lengths.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/56781-REG/Tiffen_58CUS_58mm_Close_up_Glass_Lens.html
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I will go withe the Canon as I have not been disappointed with them thus far.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Wrangler

I've used low cost (Hoya, Tiffen, etc.) close-up lens sets with other Canon DV camcorders. They work OK for many applications, and often image content and video motion will mask the imperfections. If you are doing ciritical work, work where imperfections in the image can become vary apparent, or plan to use the close-up for still photography as well, go with the better glass.
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #8
Major Player

I checked around briefly on line for the Canon 250D close up lens, and then realized I already have the Canon 500D for 77mm threads, and I also have a 58mm to 77mm adapter. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98862-REG/General_Brand_58_77_58mm_77mm_Step_Up_Ring_Lens.html

The 500D close up lens does a very good job with the XF100 (as I expect the 250D would do).

But this is a reminder of the value of simple adapters.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #9
New Boot

Is it necessary to remove the UV (protective) filter in order to use the close up lens correctly?
Thanks for all the responses on this topic!
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Here is the Canon 500D close up lens on the XF100. We had some rain this morning and then the sun came out.

The lens is about 9 inches from the flowers, and zoomed from full telephoto to full wide angle to show the range with the close up lens. A 0.9 neutral density filter was mounted on the 500D; the flowers were so bright the built in ND filter couldn't cut the light enough at f/8.

This was shot at 720p 24fps for Vimeo, so don't blow it up too much. 1020p really looks good. These were with autofocus on, but MF parafocal also looks okay going from telephoto to wide angle.
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:58 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schmidt View Post
Is it necessary to remove the UV (protective) filter in order to use the close up lens correctly?
Thanks for all the responses on this topic!
I don't observe any difference either way. I would normally remove it - why have an extra piece of glass when it isn't needed?
Old November 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Schmidt View Post
Is it necessary to remove the UV (protective) filter in order to use the close up lens correctly? !
No, but there is little reason to not remove it. The more glass/surfaces in the light path, the more change for flare, reflections, etc. Protection is for shooting settings where it is needed, and generally better results are obtained when it is removed where risk to the camcorder lens is acceptably low.

In my experience UV filters (installed for for protection) have caused me more problems than they have avoided, but YMMV. I rarely shoot close ups of spitting babies.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders