DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   New Shoulder and EVF system for 300/305 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/502872-new-shoulder-evf-system-300-305-a.html)

Olof Ekbergh November 20th, 2011 01:37 PM

New Shoulder and EVF system for 300/305

5 Attachment(s)
This is just the first rough mockup of a new EVF solution for the canon 300 series. It uses a viewfinder like the Zakuto or SmallHD VF. It can also be used with a hoodloop on the LCD. Though it is hard to beat the EVF from Zakuto.

The back battery plate can be removed quickly, and it can accommodate wireless mics external recorders etc.

The EVF holder uses the shoe mount it is completely adjustable on the fly in these photos it is set a little to high, it can easily be lowered and tilted as well as moved back and forth. The EVF always stays level with the camera horizon unlike balljoint EVF mounts. And it can be adjusted without loosening anything.

There is foam on the shoulder pad and it can be used with any quick release plate, improving on the Canon single 1/4" threaded hole. It attaches with 4 4mm screws to the base of the camera, a VCT 14 style wedge can also be used.

Any thoughts?

Tim Polster November 21st, 2011 08:16 AM

Re: New Shoulder and EVF system for 300/305

Looks really nice. Very compact. How does it handle compared to a balanced ENG rig?

Olof Ekbergh November 21st, 2011 08:38 AM

Tim,

It balances really well with my IDX battery in the back. The other nice thing is the IDX can run camera lights external recorders etc. as well as the camera.

If you don't want to use the IDX or AB batts then I am thinking about adding a "box" on the back that you can keep a couple of the Canon Batteries in, or anything else.

I make another shoulder system for the 300/305 with optional AB/IDX batts for use with the built in EVF, but this one is more compact and better balanced.

I developed this kit by special request by a film maker in Seattle. But I think there may be more interest for this kit. The finished kit will be black and more refined, I will post more photos as soon as I have the kit ready to ship out. I plan to make 5 beta kits for evaluation.

If any one is interested in trying a beta version of this setup. Contact me.
olof@westsideav.com
603-383-9283

Tim Polster November 21st, 2011 10:36 AM

Thanks for your info Olof. Do you have a price set for this setup?

Olof Ekbergh November 21st, 2011 11:44 AM

Pricing initially will be:

The EVF shoe mount: $150.00

The shaped shoulder bracket with foam: $125.00

The "Cheese Plate" in the back of the Shoulder Brace: $35.00

IDX battery plates with 7.4v power cable for the camera: $280.00

AB battery plate with 7.4v power cable for the camera: $250.00

You can order any part separately at any point. I am also looking into a small box for the cheese plate that can hold Canon extra batteries.

Tim Polster November 21st, 2011 01:21 PM

Thanks. Sorry for the 20 questions. Could I ask how well it works with the camera's LCD & a hoodloop?

Olof Ekbergh November 21st, 2011 02:10 PM

Tim, the Hoodloup seems to be a personal like/dislike.

We sell them, and the 305 version is fairly new, I have not tried one yet.

But I have sold a lot of them for EX1 and NX cams and I use one myself on the EX1R.

It is not as good optically as the Zakuto EVF (or the EX3), but it works quite well and at $155.00 is a lot less than another EVF.

I hope this helps, the only way to find out is to try it yourself. Maybe someone on this forum has tried the Hoodloup for Canon 300/305's.

Tim Polster November 21st, 2011 02:20 PM

Thanks for your input Olof.

Antony Michael Wilson November 21st, 2011 04:39 PM

Hi Olof

This is looking good! The only issue that strikes me is that the plate angles downwards, which would be an issue for me. I understand that you've done it to angle the battery further away and to balance the rig better on the shoulder but it's important to me to be able to put the camera down on a flat surface and have it reasonably level. If I can't use the floor/table/wall or whatever as a make-shift support, that's not great. Also, every time you put the camera down it's at risk of tumbling.

The Zacuto EVF mount looks great - any chance of more detailed pictures?

Olof Ekbergh November 23rd, 2011 09:11 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here are some more photos of the shipping Beta version:

And a little more info here:
305C2 - Page 1

Olof Ekbergh December 13th, 2011 11:04 AM

8 Attachment(s)
I now have the production version of the EVF bracket and the 300/305 shoulder brace in stock anodized black.

They can be ordered at our WEBstore:
Canon 305 EVF shoulder brace

We also have another version of a shoulder brace for using the built in VF, it can be ordered here:
Canon 300/305 tripod plate, shoulder brace

Here are some photos of the final shipping version: