DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   new Hoodman loupe for XF-series (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/503137-new-hoodman-loupe-xf-series.html)

Malcolm Hamilton November 29th, 2011 07:15 PM

new Hoodman loupe for XF-series

Hi there,

I'm a believer in these things... I have one for my Sony EX1, and it's great: makes focussing so much easier, in high light, low light, whatever.

I tried the one that I own for my Sony on my little Canon XF100 a few months ago, and the XF100's lcd simply wasn't strong enough to stay up, with the weight of the loupe on it. It just rotated down.

Well now Hoodman has released the H305KP kit, made specifically for the XF-series of cameras.

My big question, though, is whether what may work very nicely for the XF305 (which is the one Hoodman has pictured in their video) does actually work for the smaller (and weaker-hinged) XF100.

I phoned Hoodman to ask this very question, and a very helpful Bob Schmidt got on the line to say that he thinks he recalls trying the H305KP on each of the different Canon XF cameras, small as well as big. But he wasn't 100% sure about the XF100105; he was certainly aware that the smaller XF cameras don't have a really strong lcd hinge, but he thinks that some of these hinges were able to hold the new loupe. And others weren't, apparently.

Anyway, I thought this forum would be the place to ask the question. Do any XF100-owners have one of these new loupes yet? And if so... does the lcd hinge handle the weight?

Thanks very much,
Malcolm

Les Wilson November 29th, 2011 07:36 PM

Re: new Hoodman loupe for XF-series

The XF a larger display so the Hoodman loupe riser is bigger. I found on the EX1r that the strap didn't hold the loupe on good enough and it would slip every now and then and cover the screen a bit. It was fiddly.

Malcolm Hamilton November 29th, 2011 08:39 PM

Hi again,
Yes, the new H305KP includes a bigger riser than the EX KIT. And that's partly what worries me. Bigger means heavier, most of the time. And if my Sony EX1 loupe (that I tried on my XF100, just for interest's sake, a few months ago) was too heavy for the XF100, will the new H305 kit—even if it's being sold as the right kit for all the Canon XF cameras—not be too heavy for the little XF100 lcd?
The Hoodman people say it'll work, but as I say, all of their advertising pix show the new loupe kit on a larger, sturdier (and by that I also mean a sturdier lcd hinge) XF300 or 305.
If I can find one of these new loupes in a local store, I'll take my XF100 in, try it out and report back on this forum. But it may be a while before one of these new loupes gets to Canada, where I live.
If anyone in California or NY or someplace where these things are available could give it a try with an XF100, please let me know if it works.
Thanks,
Malcolm

Doug Bailey November 30th, 2011 12:26 PM

I have the Hoodman loupe with the new riser for the XF300 & do a lot of outdoor nature shooting, 2-3 hours a day every day. This morning I was shooting a raccoon feeding in a tall Palm tree so the LCD screen was needed.

Yes, it is a problem with the weight of the loupe on the XF300 LCD screen. When the tripod is low enough the LCD is more parallel with the ground and it's fine. When more at an angle it rotates down. Also rotates down when shoulder mounted.

I put a piece of black elastic between the LCD screen and the body of the camera to increase the friction which helps. Stretch it out, slide it between the two surfaces and let it go. The velcro strap attaches it well to the screen.

Glad to have it and love Hoodman products, but can't say for using it on the XF100.
Regards,
Doug.

Malcolm Hamilton November 30th, 2011 02:07 PM

Thanks for this Doug. And you're right... if the loupe is too heavy for the 300, it'll be way too much for the 100.
I'll write a note to Bob Schmidt at Hoodman to let him know.
It's really too bad the hinge mechanism can't be somehow 'tightened', but I don't think there's a way.
I appreciate your post.
Malcolm

Jim Martin November 30th, 2011 02:44 PM

I just tried it on the 105 here and yes, it fits and doesn't move if you don't move but....if you are doing hand-held, I think it is going to move on you.....sorry

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Malcolm Hamilton November 30th, 2011 09:10 PM

That's too bad, because in fact I do shoot handheld quite a bit of the time, and a drooping lcd would be a problem.
I've emailed Bob Schmidt who seems like a very good guy... in hopes that he'll come up with a fix.
I'd consider Doug's black elastic trick, but that seems pretty make-shifty, for the sake of accommodating a fairly pricy bit of hardware that should work without muss or fuss. Maybe Hoodman could make the whole loupe unit lighter somehow. Anyway, thanks for the help with this.
Malcolm

Les Wilson November 30th, 2011 09:15 PM

Ummm why not use the VF that's built into the XF100? It's so small, putting a loupe on the LCD is bringing the camera into your face and scrunching your arms in pretty tight which is uncomfortable.

Malcolm Hamilton December 1st, 2011 08:34 AM

Hi Les,
I just don't like the little viewfinder, in either my Canon XF100 or Sony EX-1. They don't compare to the swing-out displays. I'm glad they're still a part of the camera, because in a pinch (outside on a sunny day, or not that long ago on a very rainy day) I will use the viewfinder, but for the most part I just don't think they're good enough, for me anyway, for accurate focus.
Regards,
Malcolm

Les Wilson December 1st, 2011 04:31 PM

Yes, the EX1R upgraded the VF from the EX1 to be hi res. I didn't realize Canon skimped on the VF of the XF100 and put in a low res VF.

Doug Bailey December 1st, 2011 04:39 PM

Hi Malcom,

"I just don't think they're good enough, for me anyway, for accurate focus."

Are you using Peaking?

Regards,
Doug.

Malcolm Hamilton December 2nd, 2011 09:45 AM

Hi Doug,
Yes I depend on peaking. I love peaking. But I'm a worry-wart when it comes to shooting (which I only came to later in life after being laid-off as a director); I still struggle with what for many of you are very basic things. With my EX-1 I got used to using the lcd with the Hoodman loupe (and yes, with peaking), and that has proved so helpful that I'd like to reproduce the experience with my XF100.
Not with this iteration of the Hoodman H305KP, it seems. But maybe another version will come along at some point.
Regards,
Malcolm