Gloves for shooting in cold weather at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Gloves for shooting in cold weather

I have to go shoot in some cold weather, and was wondering if anyone has any gloves they recommend that allow you to still work with the buttons/joystick/menu on the XF 105/305. (I'm from the Phoenix area, so my knowledge of cold-weather gear is pretty limited!)
Steve Hontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Gloves for shooting in cold weather

Buy the same kind of gloves fly fishermen use when fly fishing. Any fly shop, and many outdoor outlets carry them.

I use Glacier Gloves: Neoprene Sports Gloves: Sport Gloves by Glacier Glove

Buy a regular pair, and a extra big pair that you can use with inserts for extra cold conditions.
David Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Do you have fingerless ones, ones with just the thumb/index slit finger, or...?
Steve Hontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I don't care for the fingerless glove, however, you might like it. I would buy both, and try them both. If your going to work in sub zero weather, I would get a pair of mittens with finger slits. Mittens are always warmer than gloves.
Old December 7th, 2011, 04:43 AM   #5
New Boot

My solution 2 years ago in Austria (Pitztal glacier): bought 2 pairs of cheapest gloves, cut off 3 fingers. Worked great. And I still have them! :-)
Jan Mitacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #6
Trustee

I use mittens like duck hunters use. You can move the flap off your fingers and use those fingers for working the knobs and buttons, plus it has a slot so you can bring your thumb out to hit the record button. You can get them at any place that sells hunting equipment. Very warm. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Major Player

One man's cold is another man's chilly ...

When I work outside in the very cold -- well below freezing -- I like to use what are popularly known as linesman's mitts -- a mitten with a flap opening in the palm that allow you to pull the mitten back off your fingers and do work. At cool temperatures, that alone works fine -- when things get really cold, I wear disposable latex gloves (cheap drugstore ones) under the mitts. Your hands will stay remarkably warm in the disposable gloves, you can still work small controls, and the combination is cheap and easy.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Major Player

For the ultimate in cold weather shooting, get something like this that fits your camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/74146-REG/Porta_Brace_POL_2_POL_2_Polar_Bear_Heated.html
Your hands and camera stay warm which can also extend the use of your batteries.

If you go the glove route for use with cameras like the XF100 that has a joystick, half finger gloves work very well. Some of the gloves with finger slits make it impossible to use your thumb which I need to run the joystick.

For the warmest solution short of the heated camera case, I use half finger gloves inside of oversize mittens stuck in my pockets with disposable hand warmers in the mittens. I can pull my hands out of the mittens ( they stay in my pockets) make adjustments and put them back. If you are man enough you can use a muff that hangs around your neck with handwarmers in it in lieu of the oversize mittens. I used one once it worked great but the pink color was a bit distracting.....I think they come in other colors.

No matter what way you go put a hand warmer in each pocket!
Old December 8th, 2011, 02:17 AM   #9
Trustee

This may be interesting: Ocean, Offshore, Dinghy, Cruising, Race Wear Clothing

I use these ones Championship Gloves -Long Finger because I prefer to have my thumb and index finger free to operate the various buttons.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Here in Florida, it seldom gets below freezing. What I use for shooting in outdoor in "chilly conditions" here in Florida is a pair of Fingerless Sport Utility Gloves. The package insert says that they are designed for: Package Handling, Power and Hand Tools, Equipment Operation, Biking, Camping, and Outdoor Activities.

They are made of stretchy fabric, and have PVC dots on the middle two fingers to enhance gripping. Most important is fit. Get a pair that fits your hands. I've seen them at WalMart, Lowes, Home Depot, Sporting Goods stores etc.

I thought about a pair of shooters gloves I saw at the gun store, but they were much more expensive. And here in Florida, I don't need the gloves very often, or more than 2 or 3 hours anyway.
Old December 8th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #11
Major Player

Filming in cold weather isn't about temperature anyway. There are other variables involved. I can stand outside in a wool shirt with no gloves on in zero degree weather, if there is no wind and the humidity is low. If it's raining at 34 degrees with a wind blowing, it will literally suck the life out of you in minutes.

Buy multiple types of gloves. Some for low humidity, and some that will stand up in wetter conditions. Sooner or later you'll need them all.

Most important, tie strings to your gloves and attachment them to something. You'll be amazed how fast you will loose them. Camo? remember that if you lay them down somewhere, you might not see them or find them either.

Always, carry extra's.
Old December 9th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #12
Major Player

Hunting gloves with chemical warmers, if necessary.
I find keeping warm overall is important to keeping the fingers working.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post
For the ultimate in cold weather shooting, get something like this that fits your camera.

Porta Brace POL-2 Polar Bear Heated Camcorder Case POL-2 B&H
The correct product for the XF300/305 is this one:
Portabrace Polar Mitten for Canon XF300

I use this one for my XF300, and I can absolutely recommend it. So far I have only tested it in about -10C, but I used a similar cover with my old Canon XM2 in temperatures down to -25C, and still kept the temperature inside the cover above freezing point.
Keeps your hands warm too.

During the xmas and new years holidays, I will do more testing with the Portabrace cover and XF300.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders