Flag for XF305 and best noise reduction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Flag for XF305 and best noise reduction

I'm looking for a simple way to reduce glare on the lens when shooting toward the sun. Does anyone know of a simple flag that can attach to the lens hood? I have a shotgun mic on top with a large windscreen, so a card fixed to a clamp on the end of a bendy wire that attaches to the flash shoe does not work.

Also looking for the best noise reduction software for some footage I shot where I left the gain on. Would like to save the footage if possible.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Flag for XF305 and best noise reduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Prichard View Post
Also looking for the best noise reduction software for some footage I shot where I left the gain on. Would like to save the footage if possible.
I find NEAT video very useful.

Neat Video - best noise reduction for digital video
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

2nd on Neat Video - came in very handy on my 1st shoot/edit
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Bob,
If you set the max auto gain to 12 you will be OK if the auto gain switch is on unintentionally.
Regards,
Doug.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

We are showing these landscape videos on a 60 inch screen and have found that the only scenes that were truly noise-free were shot with -6db gain. Those shot with +6db are too full of noise to be useful. Even 0db had some noise.

From now on, I will only shoot with -6db of gain and use a slow shutter in dark situations.

Also, we have not found Neat Video to be as useful in reducing noise as noise reduction in FCP.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Also, we have not found Neat Video to be as useful in reducing noise as noise reduction in FCP.
mmmm that is not my experience Bob, are you sure you setup the "noise area" correctly?

I used the Auto selection and as long as it selects an area that has minimal detail then it will remove the noise. Just for info I had 9dB gain set as max on a particular shoot and was gobsmacked when I checked it out in FCP as the dark areas showed bad noise problems. Neato did it's trick with the only downfall being a 6X render that was needed so a 10 minute clip took 60mins to render out. In hindsight it was "well worth it" as at least the clip is now useable (pretty damn good actually) so I am well pleased.

Of course in future I will be monitoring my LCD very, very closely using the magnify option and black and white to check out noise more carefully (thanks to someone on this forum for this tip).
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McCormick View Post
mmmm that is not my experience Bob, are you sure you setup the "noise area" correctly?

I used the Auto selection and as long as it selects an area that has minimal detail then it will remove the noise. Just for info I had 9dB gain set as max on a particular shoot and was gobsmacked when I checked it out in FCP as the dark areas showed bad noise problems. Neato did it's trick with the only downfall being a 6X render that was needed so a 10 minute clip took 60mins to render out. In hindsight it was "well worth it" as at least the clip is now useable (pretty damn good actually) so I am well pleased.

Of course in future I will be monitoring my LCD very, very closely using the magnify option and black and white to check out noise more carefully (thanks to someone on this forum for this tip).
Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of having areas of minimal detail in our landscape videos as we rarely have areas of sky. It is precisely in the areas of maximum detail where we are getting all the noise.
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I agree - you should play with the settings on NEAT VIDEO - should return much better results than FCP.
They have a few tutorial videos on the site that really go over all the options...
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of having areas of minimal detail in our landscape videos as we rarely have areas of sky. It is precisely in the areas of maximum detail where we are getting all the noise.
You need to create a profile for the camera. Just shooting something and using auto isn't going to cut it.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders