XF100 On the way, help me prepare at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 26th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XF100 On the way, help me prepare

Expecting delivery of a new XF100. Seems the learning curve is steep, so I'm looking for advice on best resources to learn the ropes. My experience is mostly still photography, shooting Raw files on a Canon 1DSIII, and processing in Lightroom and Photoshop. So I'm familiar with "post" processing, just not in video. I've also ordered Adobe Premiere Pro, and will be working on a Mac Pro. One of my concerns is getting pleasing color, as many posts on this forum refer to flat or dull video that must be adjusted in post. Other posts discuss use of CPs, which I assume refers to Color Profiles, or Custom Profiles. I'd like to learn how to create, download, and install/use CPs so work in post is reduced. Willing and ready to put in the time and effort, but need advice on where and how to start the self education process. Many thanks!
Len
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XF100 On the way, help me prepare

Hi,

I suggest trawling the forum as others have raised similar questions.

But two places to take a look at are:

This is a link to discussion about Alan Roberts assessment of the cameras. He always has good info and you can use his settings as a default, or somewhere to start from:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...100-xf105.html

Theres also a discussion about CPs on Vimeo:
ttp://vimeo.com/groups/canonxf/forumthread:230636

Best thing to do though is just play, and see what looks good...

Chris
Old January 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Len, I don't think there is much learning curve for the XF100 - my big learning curve was moving from stills to video. I use Premiere Pro and think it is a good move for someone coming from Photoshop and Lightroom. The learning curve isn't only post processing, it is how and what you shoot, and sound. And editing in the sense of making something interesting, and formatting for distribution.

The basic XF100 color is very natural, flat to some. I tend to live with that and do any color adjusting in post; others want minimum post processing then custom picture settings are very useful.

Last edited by Charles W. Hull; January 27th, 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: .
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris and Charles. Good suggestions.

"Formatting for Distribution" is a black hole for me, how can I learn, in depth, the ins and outs (pun intended ;) of that area?

Thanks.
Len Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Len:

If you're used to still, you're likely also familiar with shooting in RAW. The XF100 does not shoot in RAW, that's why the CPs are interesting as they allow you to do some manipulation in camera before compression. Some say that shooting in 4:2:2 allows for better color correction in post - true, but better still mastering it in camera.

The XF100 manual is available online, read it, you'll have a head start when the camera arrives. Read it and look up any new concepts, like master pedestal or whatever. You'll have a head start when the camera arrives and understand what the different CP settings does.

Second, many compositions you've learned for photography can be employed in video too, but there are some common compositions in video that you'll never use in photography, like over the shoulder shots, and lot's of extreme close ups. Watch a lot of movies to see how composition is used to accentuate specific actions.

The most difficult challenge when coming from stills is to think in continuity and action. A photo can be great regardless of what went before and what came after, you caught the right instant. Video not so. You need to think and include both before and after.

Even if you can't do multiple takes and different shots of the same action, you must start to think and previsualize the event you're going to record. That means that you need to think in continuity of your final edit before starting to record. I suggest getting hands on some film makers book.

No book is complete and self contained, there's a lot of studying laying before you. Currently I read Voice & Vision by Mick Hurbis-Cherrier and I like the way it's written. It's probably a good starting point, but don't stop at the last page. If this is the book for you depends on what you expect to do...

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Major Player

You probably want to look over here Len as this is an XF specific area, and the info you need applies to everyone:
Distribution Center Forum at DVinfo.net

But on your earlier topics, I'm with Charles: grade in post. The beauty of the XFs is their natural profile and robust codec... personally I like to grade quite heavily and the 422 50Mbit codec makes this possible.

If you enjoy grading your stills in Lightroom, I'd recommend getting the Magic Bullet Colorita II plug in - you can very quickly come up with pleasing grades: ie, shoot flat using something like the Alan Robert's settings, then apply the look you want in post. Others like to achieve the look they want in camera, but it's much more limiting and your look is "burnt" in.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders