DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Whic Camera to get XF 300 or 305 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/504920-whic-camera-get-xf-300-305-a.html)

Lico Francisco January 31st, 2012 11:58 PM

Whic Camera to get XF 300 or 305

Hi guys,

Which camera do you guys recommend. The camera will be use most of the time at church. There is plan to also do a live video web streaming so will it be the xf300 good for the job or 305. There is no other equipment just bulding up in arsenal. I am going to be paying out of my pocket. I am an amateur but i like to shoot video. I know i have an expensive hobby. But i will appreciate you guys advice. So far i don't have all the tools to do all the live streaming but still looking into other equipments

Alan McCormick February 1st, 2012 01:05 AM

Re: Whic Camera to get XF 300 or 305

Unless you intend to go into a broadcast studio or situation where you will be linking up with other professional cameras ( Studio connectivity - HD-SDI, Genlock, Timecode (XF305 only) then stick with the XF300 and save some money). Other than those features it is the same camera.

Lico Francisco February 1st, 2012 10:15 AM

Re: Which Camera to get XF 300 or 305

What about broadcasting throught the internet any recommendation of what hardware should i get. So far the camera that i am using is my little hxr mc50u, also a canon 60D. I do my editing on a Mac pro 8 core 16GB of ram 4GB of HDD, also a Clevo laptop quad core with 4GB and 600GB of HDD windows 7

Mike Meyerson February 1st, 2012 11:27 AM

I think the XF300 would be fine for your needs....if you wanted to save some $$, the XF100 would probably do the trick.

Chuck Fadely February 2nd, 2012 09:39 AM

Lico, as much as I love my XF305, if you don't have something like a Tricaster or switcher/encoder setup for live streaming, you might want to look at other solutions.

The XF305 is a great camera to feed into a broadcast switcher setup. But if you don't already have that stuff in place and you're doing this by yourself, you might want to look at something that will output firewire to a laptop for live streaming. Much easier and cheaper than a Tricaster setup.

There are a couple of new Panasonic cams that have firewire out. Check out the AGAC160. There aren't many cameras available now that are livestream friendly with firewire... you can use a converter box with the XF300 hdmi or XF305 hdsdi, but it gets clumsy to use when you get all those wires and power sources to deal with.

The only difference between the XF300 and XF305 is the HD/SDI/timecode/synch jacks that let you plug into a studio switcher setup and do live switching between multiple cameras - which is exactly what you want if your church wants to put a hundred thousand dollars into a broadcast setup, but probably not what you want if you're doing this solo.

Les Wilson February 2nd, 2012 11:07 AM

I looked at the XF300 before buying an EX1R. If you pursue your hobby more, you will find the need for other important gear such as a field mixer, field monitor, lighting and decent tripod. SDI is a rugged and reliable way to hook up a field monitor. The field monitor is hands down the accessory that changed the way I do focus and exposure. From a packaging perspective, the cost of getting an SDI port on the XF30x includes the cost of timecode in/out and genlock. If you don't need those (and it sounds like you don't and won't), you are paying a lot for stuff not used but to get SDI. The EX1r has just the SDI port and costs less than the XF300. But if you want to stick with Canon, then you are left to fit in their packaging/pricing.

We broadcast live each week using Firewire to Apple Broadcaster.

James Redmond February 2nd, 2012 11:19 AM

Les, Which field monitor are you using with SDI input? What size is it?

Thanks! I'm in the market for one. I have an XF-305. James

Les Wilson February 2nd, 2012 12:38 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672213-REG/Marshall_Electronics_V_LCD70XP_3GSDI_SB_V_LCD70XP_3GSDI_SB_7_LCD_Field.html
Designed and built in USA.

James Redmond February 2nd, 2012 03:13 PM

Thanks Les! James

Al Bergstein February 6th, 2012 12:04 AM

I like the smallhd. Had a 9" and am consideringthir 6". Good folks.

If you go to two cameras for your church you might sync them so one 305 & one 105 might beworth it. But, yes, it's expensive. Love the 4:2:2 50 Mbps.just beautiful. Would not go back to AVCHD.

Lico Francisco February 6th, 2012 03:26 PM

Thanks Guys,

What i have in my disposal it is just my canon 60D, then my Sony hxr mc50u. So far i have been doing youtube video for my church, and dvd. A little bit of myself i like this hobby i know it is expensive so i am not trying not buy up everything that i see. I try to read as much as possible about video cameras. Also i am the webmaster of the website for my church. We have audio files on the site which are play through the Radio in Guatemala. These are my goals for the 2012. To live stream audio to the radio all the way in guatemala and maybe Video but first will be the audio for the Radio. I am still reading about the cameras and maybe next year i can afford a tricaster. But thanks for all the advice everyone.