FCP X Plugin from Canon is here at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 14th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP X Plugin from Canon is here

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...ersAndSoftware

Choose Drivers & Software

Choose Mac OS X v10.7 download File Name: xpfm-2-0-0-4-8l.dmg.gz

Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro X 2.0 is plug-in software for loading movie clips captured by compatible camcorders to Final Cut Pro X made by Apple Inc.
Robert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: FCP X Plugin from Canon is here

About time.. Good news!
Matt Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Looks like it will only run on Mac OS 10.7 LION, and not 10.6 SNOW Leopard ... anyone else concur?
Dan Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Actually Robert Rogoz over on the Canon XF Vimeo forum used this trick to make it run on Snow Leopard

If you are on 10.6.8 this is what you need to do:

You have to temporarily change you system version number to 10.7.2 in order to install the plugin.

Go to HD:/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist

Copy the file to the Desktop

Open the original with a text editor and change the string value of 'ProductVersion' and 'ProductUserVisibleVersion' to '10.7.2'.

Save & Overwrite.

Install the plugin

Move back the original SystemVersion.plist from the Desktop
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Major Player

I've tried it and it does work . . . . bit buggy and . . .

Very basic plugin with no control over quality of ingest codec.

Brings it in as a 422 file.

I'm disappointed and am going to stick to the FCP7 log and transfer option as it gives me control over quality, ability to rename clips before ingesting and total control over which folder the files go into.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #6
New Boot

Hello Mark-

I was wondering which whether you can import natively and avoid pro-res import. If not, do you at least get to select which type of of pro-res quality to import?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Dan,

In FCP 7 with the Canon plugin you have a choice to import native MXF or ProRes. The canon plugin for FCP X doesn't give you a choice. I think it just brings it in ProRes.
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi everyone,
I've already called Canon support - they're going to get back to me - but perhaps someone here will "know"!
I have a MacBook Pro )1 year old) with the latest LION. Also use FCPro 7 to Log & Transfer. But we then import that into FCP X 10.0.3 (latest version). In my MacBook ri, I have 2 hard drives - an SSD boot drive (128 gig) and a Terabyte rive which we have where the DVD optical drive once was. We have about 5 Projects/Events on those drives. Everything works perfectly for the last month.
Last nite I downloaded the proper driver as stated below - everything installed perfectly - BUT NOW . . . FCPro X does not see the 2nd TB drive. FCP X opens and sees one project we have on the SSD (main) drive - but does not see any data on the TB drive. Our Events and Project folders are there at the root level. So my question is . . . how do I get FCP X to look at the TB drive? Do I need to maybe reimport the 5 projects we currently are working with? Interestingly, as FCP X loads - at first it 'sees' the TB drive, but when it's finished loading . . . all files are BIG RED icons (it doesn't see them on TB). So it kinda does at first, but then loses data files on our 2nd drive. Anybody have any thoughts on this?
If things don't work - anybody know how to "uninstall" the new Canon driver? (And yes, our drives are clones, but we're looking at moving 600 gig to replace everything - don't really want to do that if I can uninstall plugin to go back like before - if we can't solve this.
I'l report back with what Canon says in case anyone else has the same issue?
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Robert, I just read your post. We import Natively from the XF300 - are you saying the plugin doesn't allow that? Come ON, Canon???

But maybe it does!
Larry Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Regular Crew

There are no options for importing native like in FCP 7. I could be wrong, but from what I learned, FCP X converts everything to ProRes. You can export with a few different codecs. Also it is not log and transfer like in FCP 7. I had to click import from camera. I save everything from my cards as disk images with the file structure intact. So when I double click my image file it opens and reads just like if coming from a card reader.
Old February 15th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Larry
I'm not a MAC user but you must have a list of installed programs ,go there & uninstall it.In my Windows program list all the Canon Plugins are there as well as the Canon Utility.
Old February 15th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I've tried the "workaround" mentioned above but my system keeps telling me I can't save this or I dont have permission to save.
WHY WHY WHY couldn't they have released the plugin to work with both snow leopard & Lion. I just don't get it.
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Mark,

Try contacting Robert Rogoz over at The Canon XF user group on Vimeo.

Canon XF Video on Vimeo

He seems to have it working and maybe he can help you. Also FCP X and OSX 10.7 are 64bit. OSX 10.6 is 32bit. That probably has a lot to do with it.

Or just upgrade to Lion it is cheap and runs great on my Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Old February 16th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #14
Major Player

I thought this didn't sound right (the part about only importing as prores), so I just tried it. I'm running Lion 10.7.3 and FCP X 10.0.3 and have an XF100.

I just turned off Transcoding in Final Cut's Preferences Import pane, plugged my CF card into a card reader, Camera Import fired up, and I could see all my clips. With Transcoding turned off, the clips are imported as Native. It doesn't list them as XDCAM like FCP 7 used to, but the Info pane in the Inspector lists the video as Canon XF 422 50Mbps 720P59.94, Linear PCM (I shot at 720p60). ProRes clips are listed as Apple ProRes 422, Linear PCM in the Info pane.

I just imported a 27 second clip, but it's obviously not converting the footage - the import was virtually instantaneous. (2008 Mac Pro 8-core 2.8, 14GB ram)

The cool part? The import window works just like it did in FCP 7 - you can preview clips, then set in and out points and import just portions of a clip. Perfect!
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Glad David figured out that turning off create optimize media in preferences lets you import your footage native. I was wrong in thinking that everything was converted to ProRes. Sorry for any misinformation.
Robert John is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders