DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Question on Canon XF300 usage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/505590-question-canon-xf300-usage.html)

Bob Safay February 26th, 2012 07:00 AM

Question on Canon XF300 usage

I am looking at a used Canon XF300. It has 84 hours of usage. Never having dealt with a tapeless camcorder I was wondering if this is excessive usage. The seller bought it new in Jun 2010. Thanks. Bob

Chris Dickinson February 27th, 2012 05:52 AM

Re: Question on Canon XF300 usage

84 hrs sounds good to me. I bought mine in Sept 2010 and have 300 hrs on it. Its not my only camera, so I don't use it all the time, but I use it the most frequently, so I think 84hrs would mean pretty low usage.

As these cameras don't have the moving parts you are pretty safe, though you should give the camera a thorough inspection and pay particular attention to the lens - make sure that its clean on the inside and that it seems to work OK. They are L series lenses, so pretty robust, but I expect the lenses are the first things to show wear on these cameras. Check that it records OK too - that CF cards don't have a problem being inserted (as if the camera has been in the hands of a clumsy operator they could have dinked the pins inside)...

... But if it looks in good condition, chances are you'll have nothing to worry out.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Hurd February 27th, 2012 08:15 AM

If you want some professional assurance (albeit *after* you buy it), just send it in to Canon factory service for a complete physical.

This is something the seller should do if they want the camera to move quickly... get it in to service and it comes back with a clean bill of health. Not only will it sell faster, but the paperwork can carry a bit of a premium as far as price goes. But the buyer always has this option as well.

Martin Koch February 28th, 2012 03:34 PM

I wonder how one can check the hours of operation on a XF300. Is there an entry in the metadata? I tried to find it using View > Camera Metadata... in XF Utility but there's none.

Chris Hurd February 28th, 2012 03:39 PM

The notes on page 175 of the operator's manual refer to two hour meters built into the camera.

Bob Safay February 28th, 2012 04:00 PM

Chris, thanks for getting back to me. I decided that for the difference in price I may as well wait and get a new one. Maybe by then Canon will come out with a shoulder mounted one. Thanks again for all you do for us on dvinfo. Bob

Markus Oginero February 28th, 2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Maybe by then Canon will come out with a shoulder mounted one
Realy ???
U got some Pics ??
Greatings from Germany

Martin Koch February 29th, 2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1717797)
The notes on page 175 of the operator's manual refer to two hour meters built into the camera.

Thank you, I just tried it. You can go into the menu and choose Reset Hour Meter. The hours since the last reset are shown along with an OK and Cancel option. I don't want to reset my hour meter therefore I was not able to see if there's also another display of the absolut total after this. Can anyone please tell me how to see the total operation time since the hours since the last reset are meaningless in the context of selling the camera.

Edit: Just found it out. It's explained on page 180: just press the STATUS button on the side of the camera. Easy. Didn't know that.