Canon XF Utility for reformatting CF cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XF Utility for reformatting CF cards

It seams that the only way to reformat a CF card is to do it in the camera. I would much prefer to do it after down loading the clips using the Canon XF utility. Having to do it in the camera risks erasing the wrong CF card. Have I missed something in the utility that allow a reformat?
Robert Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Canon XF Utility for reformatting CF cards

Why not download directly from the camera? Then you'd know where you'd stand.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2012, 08:18 PM   #3
New Boot

When you need to swap cards while shooting it makes sense to put back a empty formatted card after saving its clips.
Robert Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Vortex Media

My procedure with any of my cameras is to leave footage on my memory cards for as long as I can after it has been ingested because it gives me one more backup for awhile longer. Sometimes I might not need a card again for a few days, so I figure why erase it?

I wait and never reformat a card until the day of a shoot if I expect to need that card later in the day. And I always reformat before leaving the office because I don't ever want to reformat anything on-location. That's how screw ups happen in the heat of the moment. And I always reformat inside the camera and never on a computer so I ensure that is is done perfectly correct the way the camera wants it done.

I'm not saying that there aren't other valid workflows, but this has worked well for me and gives me added peace of mind.

MASTERING THE CANON XF305 & XF300 CAMCORDERS
Old March 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

100% agree with Doug - it is so easy to trip up when trying to reformat in the field so make sure you have enough cards for your day's shoot so you do not have to reformat "on the go".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders