Timelapse on XF305? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Timelapse on XF305?

I want to shoot some changing storm clouds over the mountains in timelapse, but in the videos I see online, the clouds change too fast. My guess is that they are shot at 1 frame per second, which is 30X real speed. I am looking for a more leisurely pace--say half of that.

The logical thing to do is to shoot 2 frames per second, so it is only 15X real speed.

But I wonder if this would make the movements of the clouds seem jerky?

Anyone have any experience doing this?

Thanks.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Timelapse on XF305?

Hi, ive had good results with one frame for every few seconds and the slower 1/4 shutter, more than one fps made it look jerky and didn't like. Just record some shots with a few different settings and then review t in the XF utility software, there you can see the complete camera settings for each shot.

depending on the speed of clouds you could tweak the time intervals. be shure not to overexpose.

best
Rodrigo Fajardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Inner Circle

If it's just a short sequence then you may as well just shoot video & speed it up in post.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Bob,

I shot this cloud timelapse at 1080/24p, at 1/48th shutter. I believe I used the 1 frame per 2 seconds setting (at 24p. I think at 30p there's a 1 frame per 1 second.)

Clouds Over Monument Valley - YouTube

In the past when shooting on an XL2, I would shoot for a long length of time (to capture sunrises, sunsets, clouds, etc.) and speed it up in post, just like Nigel suggested.

Overexposing could be a potential problem, but I actually think it adds "character" (shadows?) to your timelapse footage :)

Best,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders