Shooting long form video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Shooting long form video

I am not sure this is the right place, but. I am shooting a 90-minute talk today - a lecture on Afghanistan by former commander there. Basically, I have to turn the piece around to mount on the web. Because it is an XF300, I am going to use up a lot of video real estate, and I expect it take to a long time to turn into a movie and then compress into an MP4/720 file. Anybody have experience with this type of project?

Thanks

Jack Hubbard
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting long form video

Jack, while you are likely already done with the shooting, there is no problem turning this around. Use the Canon XF utility to Export to MXF and dump all your 90 minutes into one folder. Open your NLE and import the clips you need to make up your film. (I am assuming that you are not shooting B cam by your description). Adobe Pr 5.5 and Vegas both import them natively. For FCP you'll have to transcode, which is going to cost you time.

If you are just doing a lecture, the clips should line up fine on the timeline, except for where you stopped your cam to change cards (I often use relay recordings for this if not critical to capture using dual card recording).

If you have a typical modern computer with a fast processor (i3, i5, i7 with 8GBs RAM), your rendering time should be not that long.

Was there something else you were trying to ask in your question?
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Al,
Here is what I did. A Cam: XF300. BCam XF100. Shot with 32gb cards that relay recorded from A to B card.
Imported all A and B Cam cards. I used FCP7. Laid the ACam 1:09 talk down on the timeline and covered it with BCam cutaways. I also cut long scenes into shorter clips and wireframed the speaker into CU and MCU's to make it more interesting. It also required some simple GFX and Supers. It was turned into a 422 prores 1920 x 1080 movie which was huge, almost 80 gb. I compressed it on Sorenson media, made the file a 1.6gb MP4/720. Shot it on Thursday night and finished for delivery Sunday afternoon. I am sure there are better ways to do this, but it actually worked.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, you could have avoided the massive transcode in either Premiere or Vegas. But it sounds like you got the job done! Good news!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders