DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   What tripod kit do you recommend? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/507546-what-tripod-kit-do-you-recommend.html)

Rodrigo Fajardo May 5th, 2012 10:22 AM

What tripod kit do you recommend?

Hi dudes, i would like to get your inputs about the tripods-heads you are using with the XF300, ive been working with Manfrotto 504 mid level spreader kit but i feel leg junctions and spreader are weak, so im about to replace it.

ill add the WA-H82 wide attachment and a couple of mics and im not sure how much would weight a rig with mattebox and a follow focus.

Id like to know what you are using at this time

Rodrigo

Mark Watson May 6th, 2012 02:20 AM

Re: What tripod kit do you recommend?

Depends on your budget. Sachtler, Gitzo, Vinten seem to be popular if your budget is around $1,500.
You won't be happy unless you have a true fluid head. Legs can be aluminum or carbon fiber. CF legs are more expensive but lighter weight.

I've been happy with the Sachtler FSB-6, but not crazy about the legs that came with it. My next upgrade will be to keep the FSB-6 head and get a set of Gitzo legs to go under it, such as the Systematic model with a 75mm bowl. Total cost of this setup is about $2,000. Links to these items are provided:

Gitzo GT3531LSV Series 3 Systematic 6X CF Video GT3531LSV B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/538602-REG/Sachtler_0407_0407_FSB_6_Fluid_Head.html
There's lots of good advice on this forum concerning this topic. Run a search and you'll see what others are recommending.

Good luck,
Mark

Vincent Oliver May 6th, 2012 03:24 AM

I am using the Manfrotto 504 head and a set of 525 legs, will change the legs for a Carbon Fiber set as soon as clients start paying their bills.

Markus Oginero May 6th, 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

I am using the Manfrotto 504 head and a set of 525 legs
Me use the Manfrotto 503 Head with 525
Quote:

will change the legs for a Carbon Fiber set as soon as clients start paying their bills.
I will look for exact this after the Fotokina in Collogne this year.

Manfrotto works good for the money, for better we have to pay a lot more....

Rodrigo Fajardo May 6th, 2012 12:23 PM

At first i liked the manfrotto 504 with mid level spreader but, with no heavy use, the spreader joints broke in 2 tripods, i feel those are weak. Im tempted to Sachtler FSB-6, but it can just support the same weight of a Manfrotto 501, so it is much more expensive than 504 and also "smaller".

Can anyone tell if there is real difference in movements and smoothness between those heads? im not sure if 6Kg (13 lbs) support would be enough for a xf300, a couple of mics and a mattebox with follow focus.

Richard D. George May 6th, 2012 01:21 PM

I don't have an xf300, but for my XH- A1s (which I am trading in) and for DSLR kits I have both a Sachtler FSB-6 with Sachtler CF legs and a Sachtler DSLR fluid head on the Gitzo CF legs with a 75 mm bowl described above.

The Gitzo legs are rock-solid, and also provide for low camera positions ( as there is no spreader). The Sachtler DSLR fluid head can handle a fairly wide range of loads, including loads as small as my xf100.

Al Bergstein May 6th, 2012 11:49 PM

DVuser: Libec RS Series Tripods review by Nigel Cooper
I have a Libec 250 head on manfrotto 525 carbon fibre legs. Only thing i would change is to get a 350 or 450 head, but to be clear, the 250 works great. I don't intend to upgrade it.

Vincent Oliver May 7th, 2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodrigo Fajardo (Post 1731766)
At first i liked the manfrotto 504 with mid level spreader but, with no heavy use, the spreader joints broke in 2 tripods, i feel those are weak.

The 504 is a head, which does offer excellent value for money and a vast improvement over the 503 head.

The 525 legs are my only problem, the clamps need to be checked for tightness on a regular basis. They did collapse on me one one occasion causing my Sony EX3 to kiss the ground (the lens was a total write off). I don't like the ground level spreaders, it's just another task that has to be done before you can start shooting. The single leg carbon fiber system is a much better solution.

Other tripods worth looking at are the Miller Compass range, these are very impressive, but do cost more.

Chris Soucy May 7th, 2012 01:45 AM

Gentlemen,..........

I commend your quest for knowledge, but it's always usefull to ask the right questions of the right people.

Posting a Camera Support question in this Forum is akin to posting a "Natural Childbirth" question in Popular Mechanics.

Ain't going to get you very far.

Try here, Tripod Sticks & Heads Forum at DVinfo.net

Plenty of very experienced support people to give their opinion, and it has nothing to do with the make of camera parked on top, just its weight and COG, oh, and, of course, your budget.

CS

Vincent Oliver May 7th, 2012 01:54 AM

Fair comment Chris, but I think the line of questioning was aimed at people who are using a Canon XF camera, so perhaps this was the right place for the question in the first instance.

On the subject of "Natural Childbirth", would a DSLR be a better choice for recording the event rather than an XF 300 camera?

Stewart Hemley May 7th, 2012 02:36 AM

+1 for the Libec. I read all the reports I could find and then tried them all. Took time but it's an important item!

My reason for going with Libec (RS 350 with Libec legs for my 305) was this: all the heads gave a good smooth pan and tilt BUT only the Libec removed that bit at the end of a pan where the head moves back a fraction. I did pans at full zoom, which on the 305 is considerable, and that's where I saw how the Libec controlled this tendency to slightly reverse the pan when what you want is a smooth stop.

I have seen criticism of the legs but in a wide range of conditions in the REAL WORLD, as against artificial attempts to catch gear out, I find it a great tripod. And it is made to the usual Japanese standards. IMO.

Richard D. George May 7th, 2012 03:05 PM

Sure enough, Chris S. is a world authority on support, and there is a lot of good info in the sticks and heads forum.

Having said that, I think the Sachtler Cine DSLR is a great head, with more load flexibility than the FSB-6, and the Gitzo CF sticks with a 75 mm bowl are terrific (compared with the Sachtler CF legs than came with my FSB-6 kit. Search all of DVinfo.net and you will find several positive posts about the Gitzo CF legs with the 75 mm bowl. The problem is the combined cost, when compared with Sachtler kits (and kits from others). You can use other fluid heads besides Sachtler on the Gitzo legs (75 mm, of course).

Jack D. Hubbard May 7th, 2012 06:45 PM

I am using a Vinten Blue with my XF300. Wonderful combination.

Chris Soucy May 7th, 2012 10:38 PM

Vincent.................

For a long and happy relationship, I'd ditch the cam all together and just hold the ladies hand and mop her brow during the entire event.

Besides, do you REALLY want to watch an action replay, 'cos I can bet, she sure as heck doesn't, not from THAT perspective!

Regards,

CS

Vincent Oliver May 7th, 2012 11:56 PM

Chris, it was a tongue in cheek remark - off topic etc,

"Posting a Camera Support question in this Forum is akin to posting a "Natural Childbirth" question in Popular Mechanics."