DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF100 batteries same as for XL1 and GL1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/508132-xf100-batteries-same-xl1-gl1.html)

Tom Gresham May 29th, 2012 01:04 PM

XF100 batteries same as for XL1 and GL1?

I bought an aftermarket battery charger to use with the XF100 and XF105. The maker says the batteries for the XF100 are the same as for the XL1 and GL1. I don't know anything about those older cameras, but my batteries won't fit into the slots of this charger.

Are the batteries actually the same, or is there a different form factor?

Mike Ayotte May 31st, 2012 02:17 PM

Re: XF100 batteries same as for XL1 and GL1?

I am using the BP 945 battery that I used in my GL-2 & also bought some Wasabi batteries. Both are working fine. The compact power adapter & battery charger also work with the XF100

Martin Catt June 2nd, 2012 11:17 AM

I'm running my BP945's from my XL2 in my XF300. It was one of the selling points for my choice of the camera, as it saved me several hundred bucks in having to buy more batteries.

Sure, you don't get the down-to-the-minute battery life report like you can with the newer intelligent cells, but the old-style bar graph indicator still works -- which is what I'm used to anyway -- and I can buy roughly TWO cells for the price of just one of the intelligent cells. And the CA930 charger that came with the XF300 charges the old-style cells just fine -- you just aren't supposed to put one of the intelligent cells on the old CA920 charger (or so I've been told -- have to investigate that one a bit more closely).

Martin

Pete Bauer June 2nd, 2012 01:31 PM

The form factor should is the same so if the batteries that came with your XF camera(s) don't fit on the after-market charger, then the charger isn't the right one.

Although newer batteries have features that the older ones don't, Canon has maintained physical and electrical compatibility for an amazingly long stretch:
How the XL2 Differs From the XL1S

Martin, I hadn't heard before about not putting the new batteries on old chargers. The old charger has slightly lower electrical output (the new 930 is 8.4v/2.4A, whereas the old 920 is 7.2v/2.0A) so I wouldn't think there is any safety danger, but it may be that the old charger might not quite fully charge the newer "smart" batteries. Don't know the definitive answer, which is something that would be good for us all to know.

Annie Haycock May 11th, 2013 04:30 PM

I'd go with the after-market charger being the wrong one.

I haven't used my old batteries in the XF100, but am certainly using the same charger with no problems - I didn't realise you weren't supposed to do that.

Tom Gresham August 12th, 2013 08:35 PM

Yep. The aftermarket charger was wrong. Sent it back, and the maker altered the mounting plate. Dolgen.

I've been using it for a year now. All is well. Running two XF-105s and one XF-100, along with a Sony FS-700.