DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   tripod/fluid head recommendations for XF300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/510197-tripod-fluid-head-recommendations-xf300.html)

Scott Hepler August 23rd, 2012 03:59 PM

tripod/fluid head recommendations for XF300

I have been using a 501hdv with my XF300 and I have had enough. It simple isn't smooth enough on the start of pans and tilts. It is pretty good once the head is moving but it is too jerky on the start and on stops. So I am shopping for a mid lever spreader, 75mm bowl good tripod under 2k. Thanks for the help.

Scott

Chris Soucy August 23rd, 2012 04:44 PM

Re: tripod/fluid head recommendations for XF300

Check this out:

Review: Vinten Vision Blue at DVInfo.net

then the 3,872,589 posts relating to same in the "Tripods, Sticks and Heads" Forum a tad up the page.

CS

Al Bergstein August 24th, 2012 01:23 AM

Vincent is worth a look, i use a libec and love it. Also left the Manfrotto fold.

Mike Beckett August 24th, 2012 01:33 AM

The 501HDV is excellent... for locked-off shots only. At a pinch.

You want to be looking at Vinten or Sachtler for something decent. I made the jump a few years ago, and you can forget that the tripod is there at all, and concentrate on your shot.

As Chris says, there's literally hundreds of posts in the tripods forum, and they all have pretty much the same conclusion. You'd almost think having so many discussions was overkill...

Les Wilson August 24th, 2012 12:34 PM

Include the Sachtler FSB series in your shopping around. The Cartoni Focus as well. Unlike the Vinten and the Manfrotto which have slide in "quick" release mechanisms, the Sachtler and Cartoni have side mount mechanisms which, one you have one, you'll not want to go back to slide mount. Easily 2,342,929 posts in Chris' 3M posts will point that out. :-)

Jerry Porter August 24th, 2012 05:04 PM

I'm running a new FSB6 with my EX3 and think it's fantastic.

Paul R Johnson August 24th, 2012 05:45 PM

Many people who have had cheap tripods and heads buy the 501 head in it's Vinten or Manfrotto badged versions and they are a real step up. However, as everyone is saying, they're still pretty poor. Diagonal movements in particular can rarely be done smoothly as getting the tilt friction and drag to be the same as the pan is virtually impossible. It's even possible to shear off the central screw thread if you tighten the locks and give the pan arm a hard push. I too still have one, but only used for locked off shots. As soon as you move up to a proper pro head you will be amazed how different they feel.

Robert Turchick August 24th, 2012 08:10 PM

Sachtler FSB6 for my XF300

Chris Soucy August 24th, 2012 11:05 PM

Scott,

Why not try before you make any decisions?

Fire mails to Barbara.Jaumann@VitecGroup.com and Peter.Harman@VitecGroup.com asking for a trial of what they consider suitable supports for your needs (they are the Product Managers for Sachtler and Vinten, respectively).

Testers will land on your doorstep as soon as they can arrange it, FREE!

Can't ask for much more than that.

See what you think, and take it from there.

CS