DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Date and Time Stamp on XF300? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/510504-date-time-stamp-xf300.html)

Jeff Anselmo September 6th, 2012 04:16 PM

Date and Time Stamp on XF300?

Hi Folks,

Doing some research on this, but I thought I'd ask here as well about putting a date/time stamp feature for the XF300?

I may have a few deposition projects coming up and a client has asked about it.

Thanks in advance,

Graham Bernard September 7th, 2012 12:19 AM

Re: Date and Time Stamp on XF300?

Meaning, you wish to visually, permanently, embed the Date/Time into the video, so it will be seen regardless of the content that's also there? Yes?

Grazie

Jeff Anselmo September 7th, 2012 05:16 PM

Hi Grazie,

Yep, that's right.

I haven't found anything yet, but I haven't cracked open the manual yet either. I suppose if this feature isn't available on the XF300 I could just put a sign with a date on it, and have a digital clock in the picture.

Best,

Graham Bernard September 7th, 2012 11:17 PM

On page 175 "Character Record" records EVERYTHING that is seen in the LCD Screen. However, you will need to set up the screen to reflect that which you want. I'm guessing you'd also be recording the amount of Battery time left! - Now, you'd not want that in the recording, but you MAY want to know it?

As I say I'm only guessing, but you'd need to decide what it was you were wanting. You ALSO need to display the format of the DATE/Time stamp. This is not as easy as you and I know as just inadvertently leaving the Date/Time stamp being recorded. This is a more pro approach to this, and one which I like - no accidental possibility of me leaving the DATE/Time left on over a client's work . . . . oo-er . . . . I'm also guessing you could set up a SD card with these "features" ready to go and import them as a working template? Dunno . . .

Anyways, it appears you can. It would also appear I will be kept well away from it! - Breathe out and relax . . . .

Cheers

Grazie

Graham Bernard September 8th, 2012 01:14 AM

It is very very deep . . Here's what I've gleaned from the User Manual:

Menu Options >> Other Functions Menu >> Custom Function >> Character Rec : ON or OFF

And again, you'd need to set the type of characters you'd want to see - yes?

Grazie

Jeff Anselmo September 11th, 2012 09:10 AM

Hi Grazie,

Appreciate the archeological digging and the golden nuggets that you've dug up!

You're right, I don't think the client would like seeing any other info aside for the date and the time. But will have to see what choices I have on the cam.

Best,

Graham Bernard September 11th, 2012 10:52 AM

Jeff, you're welcome.

As to switching to this feature easily, I understand one COULD (I wont be! LOL!) set this set of instruction up on an SD card and use that as your own personal prefs in the future.

Toodles

Grazie

Jeff Anselmo September 19th, 2012 04:17 PM

So after a few trial runs in the office, I was able to turn on the Date/Stamp function and have it record on screen.

To get the Date/Stamp function ON:

Menu > LCD/VF Setup > Custom Display > Date/Time > (Choose--Date/Time; Time; Date; or Off)

And like Grazie said, you need to have Character Rec to ON:

Menu > Other Functions > Character Rec > On

I've set it up so I can "see" the Date and Time, Remaining Record Time (on CF cards), Audio Levels, and the Recording Light (with the Remaining Battery Indicator set to Warning) . And yes, all of them is embedded on the video.

Also, I've used Peaking a couple of times, and that was recorded on video as well.

Big thanks again to Grazie!

Graham Bernard September 19th, 2012 10:01 PM

Jeff, you're very welcome. However, I hope you don't mind that I wont be using the "feature", as I don't believe I'll be using it in the very near future - lol!

Grazie