DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XF305 footage, backing up. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/510694-canon-xf305-footage-backing-up.html)

Andrew Lawley September 13th, 2012 01:29 PM

Canon XF305 footage, backing up.

Hi all,

I am very new to the forums and I am hoping to get some help regarding a question I have.

I have recently started a new job and I have been given numerous CF cards to back up.

I have been backing them up to two drives, first, going into the card from My computer and copying the whole contents folder (Contents, Clips001, + index file and everything in the clip folders).

I have backed everything from the cards, not changing anything to various folders on the drive, not changing any folder names in the contents folder as I know this can cause issues.

I am just hoping for piece of mind as I have been panicking a lot seeing as this is a massive job.

My question is: given that I have backed up every card from the contents level and there are various clip folders that have clips spanning over 5 .mxf clips, will I have any issues when this comes to the edit (think it's being edited in Avid on PC)?

I have not deleted any .cif, .sif, .thm, .sic? files or anything, just simply copied each card as soon as I click on in it in my computer and copy the contents folder.

I would appreciate any help as I am pulling my hair out!

Many thanks.

Ras Dashn September 13th, 2012 01:55 PM

Re: Canon XF305 footage, backing up.

Install Canon XF Utility and use it.

Andrew Lawley September 13th, 2012 02:10 PM

I tested the XF utility this morning for one card and it didn't back up the one of the hidden folders I found in the clips folder which I found odd.

However, will the footage I have backed up to date still work? I do not see any reason as to why it wouldn't, I have spoken to two people in post production who say the way I have done it is fine. But I am hoping for some definitive answers.

I have been told that as long as the index file is there Avid will AMA link the spanning clips.

Andrew Lawley September 15th, 2012 07:48 AM

Issue solved, copying the contents folder to a named folder will suffice. Don't mess with anything in the contents folder.

Al Bergstein September 16th, 2012 07:34 AM

I also do an EXPORT TO MXF from the Canon utility. Strips out all the non needed stuff (as long as you haven't done extensive metadata on the cards). Then it allows me to rename as I save all the files, in one folder. This seems to be a better way to go for actual editing needs.

Ann Bens September 17th, 2012 09:37 AM

This Export to MXF is it non destuctive or does it get encoded again?

Roger Averdahl September 18th, 2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ann Bens (Post 1753848)
This Export to MXF is it non destuctive or does it get encoded again?

It is non-destructive and does not re-encode the footage. That's why it is lightning fast. :)

Ann Bens September 18th, 2012 04:49 AM

Thank you Roger!

Trevor Dennis September 24th, 2012 08:11 PM

I have only just bought my XF300, and also got the Vortex Media training DVDs (which were an enormous help). One of the things stressed to hell and back again, were the limitations of XF Utility 1.0, so I'm thinking it is very important to make sure you have the latest version. In actual fact, my brand new camcorder came with XF Utility 1.1.0 so was still two versions out of date, but acording to the notes on the Vortex Media site, most of the problems were fixed with 1.1 (I have now updated to V1.3.0) My camera also had out of date firmware, so I'm thinking it must have been sitting on a shelf for a while.

Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training

Mark Watson December 9th, 2012 09:53 AM

Hi Trevor,

I just got my NTSC verson XF305 camera yesterday (S/N 26250040067). Didn't see any date of manufacture on the camera; however, the included battery is dated 201209, so my camera must not have been on the shelf at B&H too long. The XF Utility program I received with it is v1.1.0 and camera firmware is 1.0.3.0.

When checking for updates for XF Utility, it asked for my OS type in my computer and also the serial number of the camera and then said I don't need to update XF Utility. Must be for the Mac NLEs.

Mark

Trevor Dennis December 9th, 2012 05:20 PM

Thanks for the heads up Mark. I am still not using XF Utility because what I doing is working, but reading through this thread again, I am thinking that the Export to MXF would be better than my current workflow, so will try that out.

My Tilta T03 baseplate arrived this morning, but is of limited use so far as I decided not to accesorize it until I had tried it for size, and see what the offsets are. It is reasonably adjustable though, and I am thinking most options will work with it. My primary intention was to mount my 7 inch monitor, but as it comes, there is nowhere to attach the magic arm on the left side of the baseplate. It does provide a nicely positioned should mount as it comes, but I definitely need some hand grips to make this work. Will probably go with the Tilta Universal Hand grip. This hobby sure is soaking up dollars.LOL.

I'll post here when I have made some progress.

Mark Watson December 10th, 2012 12:58 AM

Trevor,

I've been looking into shoulder mounting options also. Would have probably bought the MultiRig, but their web-site is a little .... how shall I say.... spartan. So was going to look into buying in person from one of their foreign dealers. Now you mention the Tilta, which I knew of but had forgotten. Does that thing collapse down in size? Looks like a contender. The MultiRig has holes all over the place, have you considered it?

A hobby!! You too, eh? I just remind myself that it could be worse, I could own a boat.

Mark

Trevor Dennis December 10th, 2012 05:10 AM

I have done the boat thing, but living just 25 minutes from the Marlborough Sounds, it was almost compulsory. Unfortunately I broke my back four years ago, and the short choppy waves in the Sounds made boating impossible. The boat sold for almost as much as I paid for it brand new, which was nice, but carrying heavy kit around for hours on end, is also not great for folk with back problems. :-(

Buccaneer 635 Excess | Flickr - Photo Sharing!