Locking the Viewfinder Dioptre Adjuster — XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Locking the Viewfinder Dioptre Adjuster — XF300

This feels like a daft question, but other than taping it up, is there any way to lock the viewfinder dioptre adjusting slider on the XF300/305? It is ridiculously easy to nudge out of focus, and as someone still new to the camera — or anything remotely like it — it has now twice caused me confusion when in a tight spot. I have, in fact, now wound electrician’s tape around the viewfinder, and while I understand no self-respecting videographer likes to leave home without a couple of rolls of gaffer tape in his/her pocket, it does not seem a particularly elegant solution.
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Locking the Viewfinder Dioptre Adjuster — XF300

I also use g tape to prevent the thingy being knocked. I also tape the viewfinder eyecup to the viewfinder as I have lost 3 to date. Don't know of any other solution though.
Chris Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #3
Major Player

That's a good tip re the eyecup, as mine has been half off, and I shot two or three clips thinking something was not quite right before realizing what was wrong.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Put a small strip of velcro on the cap and the opposite type on the side of the cam somewhere - when you take off the cap stick it to the side, simples.

use the stronger version of velcro so it does not fall off easily.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Alan, it is the EVF rubber eye cup thingie that Chris has lost several off, but I shall take your advice with the Velcro for the front lens cap. Amazingly enough, I can only remember loosing one lens cap from my extensive stills kit, although I can close with the cap from my 100mm macro last weekend. I retraced my steps through long grass, and walked right past it, but a buddy picked it up and saved the day. It probably borders on OCD, but aftermarket lens caps just don't cut it, and spoil an entire gear bag if you need to resort to using one.
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Trevor, I meant the viewfinder cap (the one supplied by canon to prevent the viewfinder sun burning problems).

For the lens cap I always put it in my back pocket so I don't loose it, totally agree about "the aftermarket lens caps just don't cut it" comment
Old October 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Major Player

For the EVF cap, I put a red athletic shoelace through the hole in the cap and looped it through the rear strap attachment point. I also put a velcro dot on the back of the cap, and the matching dot on the battery door. Gives me a place to anchor the EVF cap so it's not flopping around on the end of the shoelace when I'm using the EVF.

As for the lens cap, I put a strip of 3/4" velcro on the front of the cap. and put a matching strip on the curved shoulder piece for my shoulder rig. Cap comes off the lens and gets stuck to the shoulder piece. Easy to find, out of the way, and immediately available.

I like velcro, in case you haven't noticed. I have the loop-side velcro tape dots on all my CF card cases, battery covers, and any other small items that tend to get "lost" in the camera case. The underside of my camera case lid (a large metal tool box) has strips of hook-side velcro. I "anchor" all the small stuff there, where it doesn't move around and I can grab it in an instant.

Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders