DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Question on CF Cards - XF 100 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/511911-question-cf-cards-xf-100-a.html)

Francisco Eduardo Antunes de Almeid November 6th, 2012 11:13 AM

Question on CF Cards - XF 100

Hello all,

I tried to find an answer to my question with no success, so here's my doubt:

I'm planning to buy the Canon XF 100. The camcorder will be used for shooting long conferences and workshops, so I can go easily for up to 4 hours in one shoot only. How's the management of the CF would work? If the CF1 is full I can simply eject it and it will continue recording to CF2? If I download the CF1 to my Computer and insert back again to the XF100, are there an option to format it WHILE recording to CF2? When the CF2 is full it will record to CF1 directly, right?

Please help me understand this workflow, since my main reason to buy this camera is to do long and uninterrupted shoots.

Best,
Frandu

Chris Loh November 6th, 2012 11:38 AM

Re: Question on CF Cards - XF 100

Your best bet is to purchase multiple cards. You can also format after you've transferred files on your computer can't you..?

Ras Dashn November 6th, 2012 11:41 AM

Yes it is simple, If CF A or CF B card becomes full while recording the recording will continue uninterrupted on the other CF card (relay recording from CF A slot CF B and vice versa.

You can initializing (formating) after you backup finshed CF card.

Francisco Eduardo Antunes de Almeid November 6th, 2012 11:52 AM

Thank for your quick answer!

But let's say I am without a computer and I have several CF to use, but not initialized. Can I do this IN camera WHILE recording to another CF?

It seens that the XF 100 would be a perfect camera for my job!

Pete Bauer November 6th, 2012 01:10 PM

I've never tried it myself and I would have guessed (wrongly) that you can't access the menus while recording, but page 38 of the English version of the XF100/XF105 user manual has a note:

- While recording on a CF card, you can initialize another card in the other CF card slot.

Ras Dashn November 6th, 2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francisco Eduardo Antunes de Almeid (Post 1762397)
Thank for your quick answer!

But let's say I am without a computer and I have several CF to use, but not initialized. Can I do this IN camera WHILE recording to another CF?

It seens that the XF 100 would be a perfect camera for my job!

Yes you can initialized while you recording, I have XF300 & I use it with no problem. XF 100 is the same as XF 300 recording format & slot.

Francisco Eduardo Antunes de Almeid November 6th, 2012 03:02 PM

One last question: How's the size of GB in about 1 hour of footage in 50Mbs? I mean converting in the FCP 7 Log and Transfer?

Trevor Dennis November 6th, 2012 03:15 PM

I think it is 80 minutes on a 32Gb card

Al Bergstein November 6th, 2012 08:32 PM

I own an xf105 and yes, you can format in the camera while the other card is recording. It's a wonderful ability. I buy only Sandisks. I've had problems with other cards, never with Sandisk.

Buy yourself a super wide angle lens if you think you will need a wide. I bought the Schneider Century. Other than that, the camera is great.

Sam Young November 7th, 2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis (Post 1762422)
I think it is 80 minutes on a 32Gb card

Yep, my 32gb card reads 79 minutes when formatted at 1280x720 50p at 50Mbs.