Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris?

Tim,

It was a tough decision. So many great cameras coming out. I almost talked myself into a C300 but for some reason the thought of no auto focus terrifies me, really. Some have suggested the price of the XF cams are about to drop in price. I don't think so. Maybe used gear will drop but Canon doesn't seem to drop much. Went with the XF305 for more elegant cable management beside the ability to sync time code. Also should hold value a bit better if I decide to sell it. Due to the reviews on here, I've also ordered Doug Jensen's training video. I went with 2 Sandisk Extreme 64GB UDMA6 CF cards and the portable Nexto device to dump them to. Hopefully get this stuff in time for Christmas vacation in Thailand. Can't wait!!
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:14 AM   #17
Major Player

Funny thing about the Vortex Media DVDs is that when I first got my XF300 I was coming from DSLRs and a Sony HC1 and had no experience with lots of the features that come with a decent video camera. So the training DVDS were definitely a time saver. But a few months down the line it just doesn't seem that complicated and I wonder how long it would really have taken me to work it all out from the user guide.

End of the day, I am sure I took a serious chunk of time out of learning the camera, and the DVDs are not a lot of money so I have no regrets. Perhaps I should work my way through them again and see what I missed first time through.

Looking fprward to hearing Mark's experience with the ZR-2000
Old December 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #18
Major Player

Received the XF305 today! The ZR-2000 LANC Remote Controller works as advertised. I can manually control the iris. It's lightweight and easily attaches to the panning arm. Plugged it into my XL-H1A and after making the setting adjustment in the Custom Function menu, confirmed that it will also permit manual iris control on that camera as well. Checked the manuals on a few other cameras and found that this iris control function will work on the XH-G1S and XH-A1S, but not on XL1, XL2, XL-H1, XH-G1 nor the XH-A1.

So far I've watched all the Vortec Media DVDs and shot a few practice clips, downloaded the cards (SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 600X UDMA7) to the Nexto DI storage device and also directly from camera to laptop with Canon Utility program. Opened right up in Sony Vegas and did some minor edits to see how that goes. So far, so good.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris?-xf305-zr-2000.jpg   Rear LANC Controller for Zoom and Iris?-zr-2000-mounting.jpg  

Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Thanks for your follow up Mark. Glad to see everything is working out.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #20
Major Player

Just to clarify- the XL-H1 a and s models will also do this. It is Custom Function 17.
Mike Sims is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders