I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF

To have the LCD or EVF display an image of a text document you've created, follow this procedure:

Preliminaries -- Prep the SD card first by taking at least one photo with the camera. This will create the necessary folders on the card (DCIM/101 CANON). The first photo taken will be saved as IMG_0101.JPG. Once you have a photo on it, remove the card and put it into the card reader of your computer.

1. Open MS Word 2007. In the Page Layout menu make these settings; margins to 0.5, orientation to landscape, size to A3 and columns to 2
2. Set your font size to 36. Now type in some text, anything will do. I plan to make lists of camera settings and checklists for a variety of shooting scenarios. Type in enough text so that you get a page filling up the 2 columns.
3. You want the text to fill as much of the screen as possible, so at the top of the screen, just to the right of the "Repeat Typing" arrow thing, click on the down arrow and put a checkmark on the "Minimize the Ribbon" option. This will get most of the menu out of the way.
4. Perform a Print Screen to save the screenshot to the clipboard.
5. Open the Paint program and paste the image. Use the "Minimize the Ribbon" option again to open up more screen space.
6. Move the image up to expose as much of it as possible, then click on Home, Select. Select as much of the text area you can. Click on Home, Crop.
7. Save the image to the SD card in the format of: IMG_0102.JPG (don't overwrite an existing file)
8. Insert the SD card back into the camera. Go to Media mode, press the INDEX button to bring up the menu and select Photo Index. Your image thumbnail might appear as a big "?" question mark. Highlight it and press PLAY. Your text image should appear on the LCD/EVF.

Note: the settings I gave are not very important but just given to help demonstrate the technique. With these, I get 15 rows and two columns of text, 22 characters wide each column... and can have hundreds of pages fit on a single card.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: I Can View Text Images in LCD/EVF

Excellent tip -- thanks for sharing this, Mark!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Less steps?
1) Type what you want in any text typing app then take a pic of the computer screen with the camera.
2) Done.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Er, Mark............

Am I being particularly dense here (wouldn't be the first time) but, er, what, exactly, is the point?

I could probably view text images on the surface of the moon if I was nuts enough to build a laser projector that could do it, I'd still need a telescope to read it.

But, erm, why?

I have a particularly nice 27" screen right in front of me that does text pretty damn good, why, in the name of Zeus, would I want to watch the stuff on my video camera, especially having gone through all that BS?

(Harry pretty well just short circuited this idea).

I think you may have an answer to a question that absolutely no-one on the planet is going to ask, but then, if anyone feels like asking, I'd be interested to hear/ read - why and what for?

Just my take.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Er, Mark............

Am I being particularly dense here (wouldn't be the first time) but, er, what, exactly, is the point?
My brain cell is attempting to see where I'd be using this. Is it so I can overlay recording video with text of importance?

* Copyright?

* Legal stuff?

* Dailies?

Also, Mark adds :"With these, I get 15 rows and two columns of text, 22 characters wide each column... and can have hundreds of pages fit on a single card."

I need more example-input to sense the USP on this feature.

Apart from all of this, thanks for posting. How on earth did you discover this? What were you doing at the time? And . . . . . . nope, I'll stand down now.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:14 AM   #6
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
I plan to make lists of camera settings and checklists for a variety of shooting scenarios.
Ah, there you are! Got it.

I use my iPhone for displaying all sorts of memos to myself.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Cool is cool, no matter the lack of practical application (not saying there's a lack here). Frankly, I love stuff like this!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Ingenious but I doubt that reading a book on the LCD or EVF is ever going to rival using a Kindle.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Keynote or PowerPoint would be easier. Both let you Save As to images. Each page is a JPEG. No paint or screen caPture.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders