DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Xf300 pal/ntsc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/513068-xf300-pal-ntsc.html)

Jody Arnott January 1st, 2013 04:51 PM

Xf300 pal/ntsc

Hey all,

Quick question - I noticed on the XF300 listing on B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684199-REG/Canon_4457B001_XF300_Professional_Camcorder.html) it states: NTSC (PAL w/Mfr upgrade)

So does that mean if I buy the NTSC model (which is currently a lot cheaper) I can convert it to PAL with some form of upgrade?

Has anyone done this that can confirm?

And one other question - is the XF300 getting a bit past its prime now or is it still a good choice? I've done a lot of research and it still seems to be the best event/ENG camera in that price range.

Cheers for any info :)

Trevor Dennis January 1st, 2013 11:31 PM

Re: Xf300 pal/ntsc

I bought my XF300 about three months ago after doing lots of research. One thing that made me go that way instead of the C100 for instance, was that I was specifically trying to avoid anything remotely DSLR like because I was fed up with the handling of DSLRs when shooting video.

I am more than happy with my choice. I would not be without a DSLR mind, but the flexability you have with the 50MBs files in post compared to say my Canon 1DMK4 is much better. It's not a perfect camera, and there are things I would not mind being a bit different, but all in all, they are great cameras.

Jody Arnott January 2nd, 2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Dennis (Post 1770634)
I bought my XF300 about three months ago after doing lots of research. One thing that made me go that way instead of the C100 for instance, was that I was specifically trying to avoid anything remotely DSLR like because I was fed up with the handling of DSLRs when shooting video.

I am more than happy with my choice. I would not be without a DSLR mind, but the flexability you have with the 50MBs files in post compared to say my Canon 1DMK4 is much better. It's not a perfect camera, and there are things I would not mind being a bit different, but all in all, they are great cameras.

Thanks for that. I see you're located in NZ, can I ask where you got the XF300 from?

Nigel Barker January 2nd, 2013 01:54 AM

Canon sells separate PAL & NTSC models but by a simple firmware upgrade Canon can convert it to a dual standard PAL/NTSC model. Canon will however charge you a lot of money for the firmware upgrade I believe that it costs around $400-500.

Trevor Dennis January 2nd, 2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jody Arnott (Post 1770641)
Thanks for that. I see you're located in NZ, can I ask where you got the XF300 from?

Photo & Video in Christchurch. I've spent a small fortune with over the years, and asked if they could get close to the parallel import prices available in Auckland. They did not have one in stock, so contacted Canon after which they not only matched the parallel importer, but undercut them by another NZ$200. So I got the camera for almost NZ$1000 under their currently listed price.

It was nice to save the dollars, but it did make me a little nervous incase they were clearing stock ready for a replacement. Mine came with very out of date firmware, so I suspect it had been sat on a shelf for a while.

Photo & Video are always helpful, and they know their stuff. They have also had to put up with some hassel in the last year or so due to the Christchurch earthquakes. They've twice had to put the shop back together after all the shelving and stock was scattered across the floor by the biggest of the earthquakes. There was a photograph of all the mayhem about once upon a time, but I think they took it off the web in case potential customers worried about buying quake damaged stock.

Jody Arnott January 2nd, 2013 04:33 PM

Thanks again Trevor.

Does anyone know if Canon has an international warranty? The info on their website isn't very clear. I'm looking at purchasing from B&H as I have a friend who travels to New York frequently and he can bring things back for me. But I'm worried about Canon not honouring the warranty in the event of anything going wrong.

Thanks for any info

Chris Soucy January 2nd, 2013 11:12 PM

No, Jody, they won't honour the guarantee on a product bought outside NZ.

No one will on anything, and pretty well never have, anywhere, in any country.

One reason I've always bought "big ticket" stuff, especially electronics, from suppliers here in NZ.

Vinten and Sachtler will for camera support, they'll give backup on Mars if needed, but electronics, nope.

Another worry with buying from B&H is that anything from there will be designed specifically for the US market, and although most manufacturers are now producing "universal" power supplies/ chargers, it isn't neccessarily so, and if you get a 120 volt only unit, you're stuffed.

I've just discovered that even the tv manufacturers are packing so many bells and whistles into new sets that every country now gets a completely different package - buying a US one would be a disaster here as most of same simply won't work!

My suggestion, find someone here that will give you a good price and just suck it up, Australasia is a bloody expensive place to buy stuff, always has been, always will be.

CS

Chris Soucy January 3rd, 2013 01:03 AM

Now, listen up NZ'ers and listen good.............

The previous post missed out on information that many of you may simply do not know, or know but don't think appropriate to your circumstances.

OK, buying overseas.

Go for it if you've done your homework, are running as a business and are prepared for the bullshit if it all goes horribly wrong.

If you don't fit into the above category, read carefully and inwardly digest.

You know when you buy just about anything here in NZ, you find that whatever it is comes with a "12 months warranty"?

Do you know what that warranty is actually worth?

I can tell you, absolutely 2/3 of 1/4 of 5/8ths of sweet FA.

Do you know why?

The Law!

It says, in the "I can't be stuffed to look up the proper name" act, that anything, bought by a private citizen (NOT a business) must be serviceable for the agreed (by the court) time period that such an object is expected to function.

Bottom line, whatever you buy, as a private individual, must last the items expected lifetime, whether it be a fridge (10+ years) or a camera (5+) or even a pair of underpants (true!).

If it fails, through no fault of the owner, during that time, it is the RETAILERS legal obligation to either fix or replace it with a similarly functioning item.

Ergo, all those eager salespeople in Hardly Normal, Blond & Blond, Loel Neeming et all (the names have been changed to protect the guilty) offering to sell you "product insurance" at vast expense, are simply picking your pocket for a product which gives you NOTHING you don't already have BY LAW!

Not only that. If you have been stupid enough to buy the damn insurance, which usually only gives you another 2 years anyway, you're still covered by.............the LAW!

For something like a video camera, the Commerce Commision would probably say 5 years plus, you being an idiot notwithstanding.

YOU don't take the retailer to court if they won't play ball, the CC does. They (the retailer) gets a big smack of a fine and STILL has to sort your problem.

If you want some extra power to your elbow, join Consumer.org.nz, they've razzed some pretty big companies in the past and are not afraid to take anyone on.

So, bottom line, if you're a private individual in NZ thinking of making a major purchase of AV gear outside the country - DON'T!

You will have no legal comebacks whatsoever.

None of this applies to any other country whatsoever, though the UK has somewhat similar protection (sort of) if you paid by credit card.

CS

Jody Arnott January 3rd, 2013 02:31 AM

Thanks for that. Yep, I was aware of the above info. It's crazy that most NZers don't realise that after 12 months, you're usually still covered by the consumer guarantees act. I cringe whenever someone I know tells me that they have purchased an extended warranty!

ANYWAY.. You mentioned something about 120 volt units? Could you explain a bit more about that?

I'm thinking of buying the Canon XF300 from B&H because it just dropped to $4999 USD (for the NTSC model). I have a friend that can bring it back for me, so I'm going to save $2000-3000 on the NZ price. Canon NZ quoted me $150 NZ to get it converted to PAL.

I realise that I won't get a warranty with that.. But I believe that Canon NZ will still fix any issues (for a price of course).

So I have 2 options.. Save $2-3K and risk something going wrong.. or spend the money.

The problem is I currently have the $6k I need to buy the camera from B&H. The ~$9 I'd need to buy it from NZ is beyond my budget.

Mike Beckett January 3rd, 2013 06:41 AM

Does NZ have any sort of import tax?

In the UK, we'd face Excise charge as well as VAT (think GST, only it's 20%). I think the Excise is about 14%... it makes importing camera gear less attractive.

Jonathan Levin January 3rd, 2013 01:56 PM

Chris,

Some credit cards offer buyer protection, at least here in the states. And in some cases it's just part of the credit card terms. Does this apply where you are?

Jonathan

Trevor Dennis January 3rd, 2013 07:22 PM

I've looked long and hard at B&H, but, for the most part, I can't make it work. NZ Customs generally let anything up to NZ$400 pass without levying 15% GST, plus a $50 handling charge. What wrecks the deal is B&H’s US$49 postage to NZ. Any package you put together that comes to less than the NZ$400 watershed, will have its savings wiped out by the high postage.

There are exceptions. A Senny G3 kit will save you enough on NZ local prices to risk paying the GST and handling charge, and still save you a couple of hundred bucks. But I find the best deals from NZ are via Oz eBay.

I am not so sure Chris is exactly right about NZ Consumer Rights. I have worked at Marlborough Citizens Advice for coming up seven years now, so have a little knowledge. I heavily qualify that because one shift a week and only occasional getting complicated consumer questions, is not enough to make you an expert. Consumer law says that your expectations should be in line with the relative cost of an item. So you’d expect an expensive video camera to last long than a cheap one. Unfortunately Consumer law does not apply to goods sourced from overseas, and you have to rely on the relative laws in the country the goods originated from. Nor does Consumer law cover you with items bought in an auction, so as soon as you place a bid on eBay or TradeMe, you would need to resort to the Contractual Remedies Act.

So you definitely take quite a risk with off shore purchases.

Trond Saetre January 9th, 2013 11:36 PM

I bought the NTSC version of the XF300, and had it upgraded to dual PAL/NTSC.
The price was (a year ago) either 500USD if done in the USA, or 500EURO as I paid in Sweden.

It was done in about 30 minutes.

Rainer Listing March 5th, 2013 10:14 PM

Anyone tried changing a PAL XFn to an NTSC XFn or vice versa by uploading the respective firmware/update? Can you? Or was the update the same for both? In fact now that the PAL and NTSC models are available at pretty much the same price should not Canon make both sets of framerates available (and provide a free update)? They'd save on handling and packaging, probably sell a few more, and do a whole lot for customer relations.

Trond Saetre March 6th, 2013 04:11 AM

Rainer, that is impossible.
Upgrading the camera from either PAL or NTSC to be able to handle both PAL and NTSC, must be done at a Canon service center.
Also notice that not all the service centers are able to do this. (As an example, Canon's service center in Norway was unable to perform the upgrade for me in 2011.)