B camera for XF100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #1
New Boot

B camera for XF100?

I'm using the XF100 and a 5D MK2 and am looking for another smaller video camera to add to my kit just for a locked off wide shot.

The XA10 seems like a good option but I'm not sure I'll need all its features, plus I'm told its now discontinued. The G10 was another option but thats also discontinued! Not that that matters too much I guess.

Could I get away with something like the Canon M52? I'm not sure if thats any better than a cheap old Sony handycam that I currently use. I'm hoping to get something that shares the same lens/sensor etc etc so the images match as much as possible.

Cheers
Ryan Wallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: B camera for XF100?

The G10 is just being updated to the G20. It's not a major update, just slightly better (according to Canon) low light and a price drop. Supposed to ship later in Feb.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 02:31 AM   #3
Major Player

I find my little G1X surprisingly good for video. It's light, has a very sharp lens and good IS. Biggest issue is that it is limited to 24fps for 1080p, where as I edit in 25fps. It's not problem interpolating the frame rate, but I do have to slow the resulting footage down to 96% (I think from memory) if there's any lip sync to worry about.
Old February 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks guys. So if the g10 is being replaced it igjt come down in price? Do you thi k the XA10 I would be a better option for my needs? I guess it's the xlr inputs and the handle that's the main difference.

Why did you go with the G1X Trevor? Was it your first choice or just the way it worked out?
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
The G10 is just being updated to the G20. It's not a major update, just slightly better (according to Canon) low light and a price drop. Supposed to ship later in Feb.
Hi David

The Canon website has another model HF G25...does anyone know if this is this the new G10 or something different again?
Old February 10th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm looking at the canonusa.com site, which lists a G20 but not a G25. Maybe G25 is the model designation in another area of the world? B&H shows the 10 and the 20 but not the 25.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Consumer Camcorders

I've done the thing a few times of buying the just discontinued last year's model at a substantial price cut. The G10 is already down to $989 (from its "list" of $1299) until March 2 at B&H. The G20 is still at the $1099 list price.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wallis View Post
The Canon website has another model HF G25...
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Maybe G25 is the model designation in another area of the world?
David is right -- the LEGRIA HF G25 is simply the European / Australian model number for the same camcorder, the VIXIA HF G20. No real difference between them except for 50i vs. 60i.

Here's the Canon Aus product page: HF G25 - Digital Video Cameras - Canon Australia

In Japan this same camcorder is called the iVIS HF G20 (see http://cweb.canon.jp/ivis/lineup/hfg20/index.html)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #8
New Boot

Hi David

Yes I can only guess the Aussie version is the G25. I'm not sure that its available here yet and the G10 and XA10 seem to be selling out, but the PAL versions are still available at the same retail price.

I'm not apposed to getting the older model but I guess that comes down to how much you listen to the marketing talk. 20% improvement in low light etc etc. And then is it worth waiting for the XA20?

From a business point of view I think you just have to buy what you need and when you need it. I just need to work out which of the two, whether the old or new model. Unless there's another camera I haven't considered?
Old February 10th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
David is right -- the LEGRIA HF G25 is simply the European / Australian model number for the same camcorder, the VIXIA HF G20. No real difference between them except for 50i vs. 60i.

Here's the Canon Aus product page: HF G25 - Digital Video Cameras - Canon Australia

In Japan this same camcorder is called the iVIS HF G20 (see http://cweb.canon.jp/ivis/lineup/hfg20/index.html)
Thanks Chris...
Old February 13th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Wallis View Post

Why did you go with the G1X Trevor? Was it your first choice or just the way it worked out?
Ryan I'd owned a G10, but loaned it to my wife, and she was so pleased with the pictures she took, I had to let her keep it. Previously, I'd taken either my 1Ds3 or 1D4 on overseas trips, but even with just two lenses and a flash, they became a PITA carrying around all the time, and I decided to travel light from now on. So last year I got the G1X and my first iPad. I might have missed a couple of shots, but for the most part, my results were comparable to my 1D bodies, and it was a real pleasure not having to lug all that weight around. Heck, it was just like being on holiday.

I just wish the G1X did 1080p at 25fps

There's a bigger version of the Castletown image at:
All sizes | Castletown Isle of Man | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And some G1X sets at
Isle of Man - a set on Flickr
England Trip 2012 - a set on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
B camera for XF100?-castletown-isle-man.jpg  
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #11
New Boot

Hi Trevor

Thanks for getting back to me with an answer. Sounds like a camera worth having a look at but I took the plunge last week and got the XA10...I really wanted a 'video' camera and the XA10 seems perfect for what I need i.e. a great B cam, but also so small that its perfect for travel....menus are a bit fiddly but like anything, its just getting used to that.

Used it for the first time yesterday and having a second camera that can take quality images was a god send...now to see if I can convince the misses I need a new Gopro! Haha

Now I'm going to spend some time in the XA10 thread!
Ryan Wallis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders