DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XF100 on the way! Now, a few questions from a pro camera novice... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/516532-canon-xf100-way-now-few-questions-pro-camera-novice.html)

John Yingling May 14th, 2013 12:38 PM

Canon XF100 on the way! Now, a few questions from a pro camera novice...

Hi there folks,

After weeks of research, digging around the forum, I'm happy to say I have a Canon XF100 on the way. So stoked.

Thankfully, I have left myself months before I have any serious filming to do.

With that said, I am a complete novice at both pro video, and pro sound. Constantly learning.

Are there any go-to articles on this camera outside of the obvious, reading the manual, and digging for info on each piece?

A few key questions :

- When recording with multiple sound inputs, i.e. onboard + xlr + xlr, where do they each go? Are they all seperated so I can grab each one after the fact, listen to and edit it?

- 50MBPS / 3:2:2.....why would one record in any other format / size? As I said, I am a novice, and I will have to dig into that each one of these settings mean, but could someone break each recording mode down for me? If you have a broadcast quality setting, why use anything else? I'm sure they each have a purpose, but I do not know at this moment. Constantly researching.

- With the CP's, can you have multiple saved ON the camera (not an SD card) and toggle between them freely?

I suppose I'm just wondering best settings for certain situations. In depth information on this camera itself is a bit difficult to find.

Sound is an entirely different issue.

Just curious to know if there is a good novice starter crash course for the settings.

Thanks again for all the help folks. This is sure going to be something. :)

Rainer Listing May 14th, 2013 07:20 PM

Re: Canon XF100 on the way! Now, a few questions from a pro camera novice...

Canon Professional Network - XF105 & XF100 Masterclass . But mainly just use it.

Steve Hontz May 14th, 2013 07:22 PM

Hi John!

To answer your questions:
1. You can only record two tracks of audio (ch 1 and ch 2) at a time. You decide whether you will use the internal mic OR an external device plugged into the XLR jack on the channel. You get a stereo mix recorded.

2. The reason you might want to use something other than the maximum data rate is if you want to save space on your CF card. Lower data rates use less space and hence you can get more on a single card. The camera will automatically relay to the next card without losing frames, and you can swap cards while the camera is recording, so, if you have enough cards, you can keep going until all your cards are full. You may also find that editing lower-data rate footage is easier on your computer, depending on what you have.

3. Yes, you can have multiple CP's on the camera, and toggle between them.

If you really want to learn about your camera, I recommend Vortex Media's DVD "Mastering the Canon XF305 & XF300 Camcorders" because the XF100 has much in common with the XF3xx series.

John Yingling May 14th, 2013 09:37 PM

Both great responses. Thanks. :)

I'll dig into the "masterclass", and just toy around with it like crazy when it comes.

Stoked!