DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XF100 MXF File Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/516833-canon-xf100-mxf-file-question.html)

Steve Struthers May 27th, 2013 11:10 AM

Canon XF100 MXF File Question

Hello All,

I'm thinking about getting a Canon XF100. I currently use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 to edit my videos, which will not work with .MXF files.

How do I transcode .MXF files to MPEG-2 or some other format my NLE can use? I've looked just about everywhere on the web and can't find a clear-cut answer.

Al Bergstein May 27th, 2013 02:19 PM

Re: Canon XF100 MXF File Question

Are you sure that Platinum won't take MXF? If not, your best choice might be to upgrade to the full Vegas pro product, which does work with them.

Other than that, I would assume you might find a tool that transcodes to something that platinum takes, but I don't know what that is. You'd have to look at the reqs for the product and find out what matches. There are many tools that can do transcoding out there. Some free.

Mark Watson May 27th, 2013 03:39 PM

Video Converter Ultimate by Wondershare will convert .MXF files to .AVI, .MP4, .MP3, .WMV, .DIVX, .MOV, iPad 2, the new iPad and iPhone 4 file types.

Priced at $50.

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate

Ann Bens May 28th, 2013 04:17 AM

Video Converter: 4.2.2 and 50 mbps poef gone.
I would go for a NLE upgrade.

Scott Hiddelston May 29th, 2013 05:59 PM

A while back when FCPX first came out and it was discovered that it would not accept MXF files, a guy called Rune Espensen wrote a program called XFCPX which simply changed the container from MXF to MOV without altering the file contents. I don't know if MOV is any more convenient for you, but if it is, this program, which can be found on a search for "xfcpx" , is quick and clean.

Afzal Thayab June 3rd, 2013 01:35 AM

Hi
I use an XF105 and use a free program called MediaCoder. This little converter works exceptionally well and is very fast. Just be sure to combine muiltilpe clips using the XF Utility before doing the conversion.
Settings for Mediacoder:
Video - check the Copy Video checkbox

Audio - copy the same audio characteristics as the original file

Container - select mpeg-2

Do a test with a small file to make sure that the conversion works for you.

Gary Yek June 3rd, 2013 07:37 AM

I also ran into this issue when I got my XF105. Sony Vegas Movie Studio 10 could not handle the files; I tried the various converters but they were slow and degraded quality. I upgraded to Sony Vegas Pro 12 and it all works great.