DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Advice setting up the XF-100? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/516901-advice-setting-up-xf-100-a.html)

Patrick Bronte June 1st, 2013 12:15 AM

Advice setting up the XF-100?

I've got an XF-100 for the purpose of recording interviews. The camera came with two CF cards (Sandisk 32GBs, 60MB/s). Recording the best quality video will require me to purchase more CF cards. Would it be better to purchase a couple of 64GB cards that can record at 90MB/s? I really want to record at the best possible quality and avoid dropped frames. What settings should I use to achieve the best outcome for DVD and Blue Ray?

Any suggestions on the best CF cards and settings would be really helpful.

Ann Bens June 1st, 2013 11:42 AM

Re: Advice setting up the XF-100?

Sandisk are the best.
32 gb will hold up to about 80 minutes of 50 mbps.
If you want to be sure not to encounter dropped frames run the cards simultaneously.
I use Transcend: have not had a dropped frame yet.

Rainer Listing June 1st, 2013 05:26 PM

and just to add what I said on the HDDV forum, I use cheap Delkin cards and haven't had a dropped frame either. I don't think dropped frames is the issue, it's not like tape, if your camera can't write to the card I think you'll lose the whole clip. And of course shoot 1920X1080 @ 50mbps at either 25 or 29.97 fps, whichever your camera does - no reason not to shoot at best quality. Only other advice - don't use auto, ever. Check the forum for CPs.

Patrick Bronte June 1st, 2013 07:37 PM

Thanks Anna and Rainer. So 60MB/s will work fine. Does that mean that I won't really get any benefit from purchasing a 90mb/s card? Are Lexar and Transcend up to scratch?

Pete Bauer June 2nd, 2013 08:34 AM

Any of the cards Canon puts on its approved list will be fine. But for me, it isn't just about avoiding dropped frames during the shoot. There's also post-production efficiency.

The faster the CF card is rated, the faster it'll transfer files to your computer. If you're not in a hurry or do only short-form stuff, the CF card speed won't matter much; go have dinner or whatever while files copy. I sometimes have 8+ hours footage (4 XF cameras for 2+ hour events) and want to get editing as quickly as possible. I use the Sandisk 90MB/s 64GB cards and my actual throughput is typically over 80MB/s. I can have all footage copied thrice (to editing box and to two archives) in 30-45 minutes.

I usually use separate audio for concerts and always dump that to my edit box first so I can start sweetening while the video files are transferring. I'm often not even done with a first pass of cleaning up the audio before I have all footage ready to import and edit.

So my main point is that for folks like me who are impatient to get the footage transferred, a faster card is worth the price because it'll get you done and to bed earlier.

How far we've come in just a few years when 8 hours of tape would have had to be captured at real time!