DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Should I sell my XF305 for a 5D Mark III? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/517318-should-i-sell-my-xf305-5d-mark-iii.html)

Josh Morgan June 20th, 2013 06:14 AM

Should I sell my XF305 for a 5D Mark III?

Hi guys, I am having a really difficult time deciding if I should sell my XF305 for a 5D mark III. I already have the Mark II and I rarely use my XF305. My XF has recently had a lot of problems with dust and vignetting and long story short I got my lens replaced on it twice, then Canon sent me a new replacement XF305, that one also had problems with vignetting and dust, and just recently I sent that replacement XF305 for a lens replacement. I would say that Canon has spent a good fortune on me because the camera is still under warranty. But when the camera behaves, I love it! The problem is, is that I don't use it as much as my 5D and I don't know if I should sell it or not. Do you guys have any advice for me...Should I wait for another camera to come out? Should I sell it for the Mark III? Please share your ideas.
Thanks a lot!
-Josh

Tim Polster June 20th, 2013 06:56 AM

Re: Should I sell my XF305 for a 5D Mark III?

Josh, there is no way to tell you what to do. These are different types of cameras so they are not an apples to apples comparison. If your needs are going towards cine-style production then maybe sell it. Only you know if you don't need a "video" camera in your bag.

Mark Koha June 20th, 2013 07:17 AM

I say keep it just to keep your tools as versatile as possible. If you already have a Mark II, what do you need a Mark III for? These are two different cameras that seem to be really good at two different shooting types.

Noa Put June 20th, 2013 07:28 AM

The 5dIII has much less moire issues and can shoot at much higher iso's, that's 2 reasons I"d consider getting a 5dIII for.

Quote:

The problem is, is that I don't use it as much as my 5D and I don't know if I should sell it or not.
I"d say sell it and get the 5dIII, you have experience using a 5d so you know what you will be getting into and since you hardly use your xf300 there is no reason hanging onto it.

Robert Turchick June 20th, 2013 08:13 AM

Totally depends on what you shoot. I will always have a true camcorder as I do corporate and longer pieces. I use the 5D mk3 (and 1Dx) for b-roll. I have a friend who does mostly cinema style shooting and he only owns 5Dmk3's. He has to pass certain jobs to me cause his gear won't do the job. But he makes a very good living and very nice looking videos.
If your shooting style gives you the time to run a separate audio system and limit the shooting times go for the 5D mk3.
I don't have the time to mess with all the stuff that goes into making the 5Dmk3 the main camera. The XF is pretty much turn it on and start shooting. It also works better on my glidecam and crane as the AF face detect takes focusing off my plate leaving more brain power for the intricacies of running those rigs.
Just my 2cents! If you can have both...that's ideal!

Josh Morgan June 20th, 2013 02:12 PM

I do have the tendency to use my green screen for some work...Can the Mark III shoot chroma key well? And I thought that the XF surpasses the 5D with moire issues?!?

Noa Put June 20th, 2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Can the Mark III shoot chroma key well?
The xf305 should be better at that, it is sharper and shoots 4:2:2 but now the 5dIII has raw capabilities I"m not sure what that would mean for green screen work?

Robert Turchick June 20th, 2013 03:22 PM

The XF is way nicer on chroma. That's about 80% of my biz and the reason I bought it. The 5D mk3 does ok for smaller web videos but you will see aliasing in full hd. The 5D mk3 is miles ahead of the previous Canon DSLRs which I tested on green screen and they failed horribly.
Moire doesn't happen on the XF. The mk3 once again is way ahead of the game compared to other DSLRs. I only have had one real issue which was in still mode shooting business head shots. The men's suits were killing me! Video I haven't seen it yet.

Josh Morgan June 20th, 2013 05:45 PM

Ok, Thank you guys for your responses....I am leaning towards keeping the XF. So maybe you guys have anymore closing statements to back up my decision better? lol Thank you so much!
-Josh

Al Bergstein June 20th, 2013 07:15 PM

I don't use my xf305 much, but for example, for stage shows that run for an hour or two I'd never consider using a 5D (I have the mkiii). But you have had more than your share of problems (I've never had any). Why not consider selling it and leasing a C100? Since I got my C100 I use my mkiii less and less. And it will use your existing lenses.

Again, as others have said, we don't know what you shoot. The camera is the tool. If you need a camera that can run for two hours and have a steady zoom, like for stage shows, then the xf is worth keeping.

I don't know why you are getting vignetting. I don't get it. Did you make sure you didn't have your WA setting on by accident?

Anyway, best of luck.

Josh Morgan June 20th, 2013 07:29 PM

I'm sure....The vignetting is seen when IS is on and when the camera is in movement....Have you experienced any dust in your lens at all?

Mark Koha June 21st, 2013 10:06 AM

Servo Zoom, that's my closing argument.

Trevor Dennis June 21st, 2013 04:58 PM

I'd hate to be without a DSLR for those times it works better, but my XF300 gets by far the most use. In fact I wish I had a 5D3 for its full frame size. I use a 1D4 because it has to do service as a stills camera

Bill Bruner June 23rd, 2013 09:30 AM

Hi Josh - another thought - if finances allow, you might want to keep the XF305 (as long as Canon can fix it) and trade your Mark II in for a Mark III instead.

If it turns out the Mark III can handle your keying needs and you pretty much never take the XF305] off the shelf, then sell your camcorder (and rent one when you absolutely must have a servo zoom).

The Mark III has become an even more attractive camera at this price point with the new Magic Lantern RAW hack.

Here is the quality of the images it can produce:

Good luck with your decision!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Nigel Barker June 25th, 2013 01:54 AM

I owned an XF305 & it's a lovely camera. It's bulky by deceptively lightweight for the size. However I sold it as I mainly shoot with DSLRs & now have an XF105 that has all the proper camcorder stuff like the XF305 but is small & nimble. Apart from the lack of the 22x zoom lens it does everything the same as its big brother. I don't know what you shoot but my work is mainly weddings & the XF105 is perfect for locked off wide shots as it resolves much more detail than the 5D2/5D3.

If I were in your position I would trade in the XF305 & 5D2 for an XF105 & 5D3.