Finally at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 29th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Finally

So I finally got my new XF305 and I have to say that I absolutely love it. I currently work as a traveling ENG shooter for the Cleveland Indians TV broadcast. The camera I was using was a big shoulder mount Sony XDCAM (not sure of the model) that the station I am contracted through provided. That camera made great pictures but was such a hassle due to the size and the amount of stuff I had to travel with it. I had a big plastic camera case, a tripod, and 2 pelican cases, one with a playback deck and one with a battery charger and other miscellaneous stuff. The face that I can now scale all of that back to fit in a back pack with a lightweight tripod strapped to it is awesome. Especially when it comes to walking around cities getting scenic shots.

So far I have only had a couple days to use it but in that time I have shot numerous interviews and today I shot a short 2 minute feature with our sideline reporter on a museum in the Atlanta Braves' stadium. I love the flip out LCD on this thing and having the built in waveform monitor. In terms of personal cameras that I have, I am coming from an XH-A1S so this camera is a huge upgrade in every way, shape, and form. I look forward to working with this for the rest of the summer and finding out all what it can do.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2013, 09:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Finally

Sounds great Mark. Glad you are happy. The viewfinder & LCD are a pleasure to use on the 300 series. Nice visual monitoring as it should be.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Major Player

For what you do you will love it. I've had mine for a year and a half. A bit poor in really low light but with some around, you'll be fine. Add a century Wide angle for best results in crowded locker rooms.
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Mark,

Congrats on the new camera! I've had mine since December and am still getting acquainted with it, but I find it a very easy to use piece of gear. I wish it had a few more knobs and switches like for frame rate/resolution changes and audio controls. But really, can't complain. The LCD is so nice, especially after using the XL-H1A, where you can practically count the pixels with the naked eye. SmallHD DP6 gets little use these days.

What backpack do you use? I can fit my camera in one of my larger backpacks, but don't feel comfortable with the lack of cushioning in there and the camera being supported on the lens shade. I use a Pelican 1510 and a Thinktank slingbag that the camera just barely fits in, which is what I needed. Put some Velcro on the EVF cover and some on the battery door so you can have a place to store it when using the EVF. I almost lost mine a couple times already.

I'm wondering how many of these cameras have been put to use for ENG. I am just guessing, but for ENG use, lens swapping isn't so desirable. The added failure point, cost, etc. So, if Canon figures they have most sales in the ENG area, and not enough sales to those who need an interchangeable lens, then maybe this is why we aren't seeing a true successor to the XL-H1 series. Just a random thought. Whatever development cycle Canon has, I think the time has come and gone that we can expect anything along those lines now.

Happy shooting!

Mark Watson
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

I've had this camera for a while now and it's really nice - apart from in really low light. As long as you are aware of that (which I am sure you are) and shoot in good light it's a pleasure to use.

ENG shooting? I came across this guy who according to the Vimeo tages is using an XF300. His footage is really nice in my opinion. https://vimeo.com/olivierandkate/videos
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM   #6
Major Player

Mark, the backpack that I am using is actually the one that I used with my XH-A1s. It's a Thinktank bag, not sure of the model. It is a little small so I'll eventually get a new one but this gets the job done for now.

Andy, that guy's stuff does look really good. I generally try to avoid war zones though (despite the fact that I'm in Detroit right now).

When this camera first came out I was turned off by the price, but since it came down I think it is right where it needs to be even though people complain about it. When you look at other cameras that do 50mbps 4:2:2, this is actually cheaper than most. I do have some brand loyalty to Canon but it is not blind loyalty, this camera is just that good for what I need it to do. Since 90% of the stuff I shoot gets fed directly into a production truck, the HD-SDI was a must and since it is all for broadcast, the codec was a must too.

I'll try and post up some of the stuff I shoot, but most of it is pretty uninteresting if you are not a baseball fan.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Well now that you have your XF305 Canon can go ahead an relase the update we have all been waiting for! :)

I have had good luck with the KATA BP-502 backpack. But I think it is discontinued at the present time.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2013, 10:39 PM   #8
Major Player

I gave up on bags and put mine in a pelican. When I am out in the field I always have it on a monopod, tripod or shoulder mount of some kind. I do have a small toolbag, I bought at a hardware store that it fits in. It's just for keeping it upright for a few minutes if I don't want to strike the kit. But I rarely rely on that.

I've found the xf305 great for stage performances. Here it's married with the XF105 (camera right). XF305 is camera left which starts out the song.
The 4:2:2 combined with the stage lights is about as good as I think you can get.
Old September 1st, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Major Player

I got the ThinkTank Streetwalker BackPack last year and it is perfect for the XF300/305 and lots of add ons.
The good thing about this backpack is I now no longer leave anything after a shoot. It can be configured to suit your needs and is very spacious. If I ever have an empty space I know I have left something - of course you need to pack away before leaving your venue ;).
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #10
Major Player

I'm amazed you can get a 305 in there!
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:31 PM   #11
Major Player

No problem at all (on it's side) (XF300) complete with:
2xRadio Mics
1xShotgun/Fluffy/Suspension Mount
6xCam Batteries
Audio Recorder
Camera Light
Headphones
Audio bits and pieces
many AA & other batteries
3M XLR cable
2 x combi locks 2M (in side pockets)
It is heavy but is comfortable.

I was recommended this by a fellow colleague and have never used anything else since I got it.
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #12
Trustee

Mark, congradulations. I just returned from videoing in Alaska. I shot 145 GB of video on my XF300, When I got home I hooked the cam to my 1920x1080 HD TV and I must say the footage was stunning. You are going to love shooting with the XF305
Bob Safay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders