Making the move, possibly? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 31st, 2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: Making the move, possibly?

You're right to exclude the Z100 from the selection process. It's an interesting camera for what it is, but it's not a viable alternative to the XF300 or PMW-160.
Old December 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Hey Doug, what camera do you have that uses the XQD cards?
Old December 31st, 2013, 05:58 PM   #18
Vortex Media

The PMW-F55 right now. I've been able to record 50Mbps HD422 XDCAM and 4K XAVC simultaneously to a single card without any problems. Lots a lot of data. And I don't even have the latest, greatest, type of XQD card.

I have also used them quite a bit with the PMW-200, 160, and 100. I think they would work with my EX1 (new in 2007) if I updated to the latest firmware, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Rock solid and nice little cards. Even when you just pick them up you can tell they are a physically better built card than any of the others. The closest equivalent in size and construction are the CF cards, but those scare me after I've had two SanDisks fail me.
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:43 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Thank you Doug. Happy New Year!
Old January 1st, 2014, 09:41 AM   #20
Trustee

Happy new year folks!

What camera did you choose in the end then?
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:31 AM   #21
Major Player

A bit OT but, pity those XQD cards aren't as reasonable this side of the pond!! a 32 Gb XQD + adaptor is €371compared to the Sony SxS 32 Gb which is €336.
For economic reasons I've been using a 64 Gb SxS in slot A and a Sony MEAD-SD02 Adaptor with a Sandisc 64 Gb SDXC card, in slot B as a backup on my PMW 200, havent need to use it yet as the SxS seems to be big enough for what i'm doing.
One thing that always concerns me with CF cards (and I use them a lot) is the possibility of borking any of the 50 receiving pins in the camera.

CF technology having been around since the mid 90's is getting old by now especially with the advent of cards like XQD which are the furure i suspect.
Old January 1st, 2014, 11:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Have shot with both CF cards and SD cards for at least four years. Always Sandisk extreme pro or earlier equivelant. Never a card failure from CF. SD cards failed once in a while. Have shot in rain and snow, and 100% humidty. Main thing, get a dual card system, and record to both at once on one time only paid or unique shoots.
Old January 1st, 2014, 12:59 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Manford View Post
Happy new year folks!

What camera did you choose in the end then?
Hey James, I'm still deciding. Between the Z100 and XF300, it's a 1900.00 difference based on units and accessories.
Old January 1st, 2014, 01:22 PM   #24
Vortex Media

Interesting. Let us know how it all shakes out and what your reasons were no matter which way you go.
I can't imagine a scenario where those two cameras would be the two choices.
Old January 1st, 2014, 05:42 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Interesting. Let us know how it all shakes out and what your reasons were no matter which way you go.
I can't imagine a scenario where those two cameras would be the two choices.
Yeah Doug, it's one of those, 'go with reliable' or 'plan for the future' I have the Sony Z1u which has performed flawlessly, a true rock solid camera, the precurser to the Z100 in a sense.

I just read this, Canon XF300 / XF305 Camcorder Review which is a great review of the XF300. Probably one of the best reviews I've read on a camera in a long time.
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:11 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
Les, if you go back and re-read my post you'll see that I'm recommending that he compare the XF300 to the PMW-160. Both of those cameras have 1/3" sensors and similar specifications. Apple to apples.
<insert sound of hand smacking forehead> Sorry. I bobbled that one.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:39 PM   #27
Vortex Media

No problem. I've been guilty of that on more than one occasion myself.
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:51 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Well, I received my XF300 demo unit today. I laughed a little because the first camera in my business was a Canon GL2, and this one reminded me a little of it.

Does anyone have current information on how long your battery lasts in a long day? Couple of hours, more?
Old January 17th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #29
Regular Crew

I've had an XF300 for 3 years now & get almost a day out of a BP-975. Of course it greatly depends on how much you use the zoom servo, lcd screen & phantom power etc. Environmental temperature seems to have little effect on battery run times, which I fine strange. I shoot a lot in the Med in the summer, as well as northern latitudes like Finland. Canon batteries are expensive but reliable in my experience.
Chris Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stevens View Post
I've had an XF300 for 3 years now & get almost a day out of a BP-975. Of course it greatly depends on how much you use the zoom servo, lcd screen & phantom power etc. Environmental temperature seems to have little effect on battery run times, which I fine strange. I shoot a lot in the Med in the summer, as well as northern latitudes like Finland. Canon batteries are expensive but reliable in my experience.
Thanks Chris. My current setup, I get 4 hours max out of my batteries, the older batteries, not even that much.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders