LCD Display Recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 31st, 2013, 02:46 AM   #1
New Boot

LCD Display Recording

I've recently purchased a Canon XF305 and am learning how to drive it. Somehow I've managed to enable a feature which is recording the LCD Display content along with the video i.e. sound levels, focal length, zoom indicator etc. to the CF card.

Reading the manual it appears this function should be enabled / disabled by setting the LCD->Custom Display->Character Rec feature ON or OFF respectively. When ON the LCD should display "CHAR.REC" in inverted red which it does and it's not shown when set to OFF. But regardless of which way I set this option, the recorded output continues to have the LCD screen content.

I've tried using different Custom Picture modes but problem persists.

Any ideas / suggestion welcome! Thanks in advance.
Ian Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 03:21 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: LCD Display Recording

I've found (stumbled upon) the solution. For others that may stumble down this path.
I was trying the LCD/VF menu -> Custom Display -> Character Rec option with no effect to what is recorded to the CF card.
I've now tried the Other Functions menu -> Custom Function -> Character Rec option and this does impact what is recorded to CF card. When set to ON the LCD display content are recorded to CF card. When set to OFF the LCD display content are NOT recorded to the CF card.

The manual (P168) implies this is controlled by the LCD/VF menu setting. There is no corresponding detailed help within the manual for the Other Functions -> Custom Function menu settings.

Regards Ian
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Vortex Media

This is a strange quirk of the camera that I warned people about 3 years ago in my XF305/300 training video.

MASTERING THE CANON XF305 & XF300 CAMCORDERS

You want to make sure that OTHER FUNCTIONS > CUSTOM FUNCTION > CHARACTER RECORD is always turned off.
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks Doug. I will be ordering your training video shortly.
Old January 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM   #5
Vortex Media

Thank you very much. I hope you find it helpful.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders