DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF300 HDMI output issue (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/523564-xf300-hdmi-output-issue.html)

Martin Duffy June 3rd, 2014 08:21 AM

XF300 HDMI output issue

HI

I have a weird problem. Its explained in a YouTube video I have made but basically there is no explanation why one Canon XF300 outputs HDMI into all monitor options whilst the other identical camera works in some monitors but not in others.

The video was done in a rush so please excuse the low production values. Menu settings on both cameras were the same. I even reset the camera with the issue to factory settings and updated the firmware without luck.

Don Palomaki June 3rd, 2014 10:16 AM

Re: XF300 HDMI output issue

I'm not able to view the video.
The firmware is up to verions 1.0.6.0.
Do they both have the same firmware?

Martin Duffy June 3rd, 2014 09:02 PM

XF300 HDMI output issue

Hello Don

Video is now public. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&fea...id=giuDEXBfQEw

Don Palomaki June 4th, 2014 05:07 AM

As a start, I would check the Firmware on each camcorder.

Martin Duffy June 4th, 2014 06:38 AM

Hi Don

The firmware on the camera with the issue originally had version 1.0.3.0 (or it may have been 1.0.4.0) and then I updated it to the latest 1.0.6.0

The camera that works OK has firmware 1.0.5.0

Don Palomaki June 4th, 2014 07:51 AM

That it works direct with the monitor but not with the converter is interesting.
That the converter flickers briefly before it fails to pass the signal is also interesting.
I gathere the problematic unit never played with the converter before the firmware update.
What converter are you using?

Something is probably right at the margin and system variations push it over. That is the output signal of the camcorder may be at the low end of spec, and the input sensitivity of the converter may also be at the low end netting to inability to read the signal or do the necesasry handshaking.

For starters I woud try swap the power supplies for the camcorders if A/C powered, or batteries just in case it is power sensitive.
I would also try an alternate power supply for the converter in case it is power sensitive.

And I would try the camcorder with several other HDMI input devices. If it works with them I woud say the converter is likely at issue.

Shaun Roemich June 4th, 2014 02:02 PM

I'm going to assume you are shooting in a progressive format. Check to see if the output on the HDMIs are switched to allow PsF or some other Interlaced output. I doubt the HDMI to SDI converter is capable of doing that for you so one of your cameras is likely outputting an interlaced signal from a progressive source (camera A) while the other is outputting a progressive signal over HDMI. HDMI has the bandwidth to handle 1080 progressive whereas regular old HD-SDI at 1.5G doesn't and needs interlaced at 1080.

Martin Duffy June 10th, 2014 07:18 AM

Still having the same issue here.

I can confirm that on my TV in my bedroom HDMI for both cameras works but on the one in my lounge room HDMI will only work on camera A - the one that doesnt have the issue

I can also confirm that both cameras have been set to interlaced.

Sorry I haven't made a video of this one but trust me its the same issue as with the HDMI>SDI convertor.

Looks like i have no option but to book it into Canon to get looked at.

I will report back but my gut feeling is that its some sort of low output meaning that it works into some TV's but not all and also not all devices such as converters.

The converter is a cheapy from EBAY but seems to work fine with camera A

Martin Duffy August 1st, 2014 04:27 AM

Its always good to get a solution.

I ended up sending the camera to Canon, they replaced a board and bingo it all works.

Thanks anyway to those who tried helping me with the problem but all is good now!

Martin.