DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Xf200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/524347-xf200.html)

Don Palomaki July 31st, 2014 03:53 PM

Xf200

FWIW: B&H shows the XF200 in stock, XF205 is still shown preorder status.

Steve Kimmel July 31st, 2014 07:16 PM

Re: Xf200

Can't wait to hear some user reviews!

Richard D. George August 1st, 2014 03:39 PM

Videomaker Magazine has a review of the XF205 on their website. Not a comprehensive review, I"m afraid.

Steve Kimmel August 1st, 2014 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 1856960)
Videomaker Magazine has a review of the XF205 on their website. Not a comprehensive review, I"m afraid.

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree, not very comprehensive, but pretty typical of Videomaker. (e.g., "The XF205 has more than 20 buttons and switches." -- very useful....)

Jonathan Levin August 3rd, 2014 10:24 AM

And I would really like to hear how the wireless connectivity is with this device!

Hank Bridgeman August 3rd, 2014 02:18 PM

Received my XF200 Thursday so have not had very much time to play with it. But my first impressions are very good. In - 6 and -3db exceptional image quality in good light. Any gain introduces too much noise, even at +3db the image starts to fall apart. I knew not to expect great low light performance with this camera as it has a single 1/3" sensor, that's where my DSLR's large sensor come in.

Almost bought a XA 20 and glad I waited for the XF200. The 200 is a lot more money, but the on board buttons/ switches make this camera very usable where as the XA 20's touch screen menu would make changes on the fly a pain.

Nice to have the dual codec. Can record to 4:2:2 and backup to Mpeg4.
4:2:2 in a small camera a definite plus. And real over cranking slowmo. The camera feels a bit plastic but I like the low weight.

I'm impressed with the Wide DR Gamma (600%) setting, it really does help keep the highlights from blowing out as well as keeping the shadow detail, not bad for a single 1/3" sensor.

I have not had time to play with the wireless connectivity yet, going to need some help setting it up, the manual has me a bit confused in that area. My GoPro 3 was very easy to connect Wi-Fi.. Canon, not so easy.

The camera is sort of a replacement for my aging XLH1 (original) I still love that camera...may still get a Samurai Blade, but with all the extra cables and all, not a good run and gun cam.

The XF200 is small, but not too small. Clients will still feel you are shooting with a pro camera.
Will try and post some footage soon.

Jonathan Levin August 4th, 2014 01:59 PM

Look forward to all reviews. Thanks Hank!

Graham Bernard August 5th, 2014 12:59 AM

WiFi. Interesting (maybe?).

Just for interest too, there's a 58mm front thread - yes? I have a Canon WA58, great Canon glassware, that may just push me forward too..... It has an ND "system". Canon: ND filter Built-in gradation ND filter. Reading further there's a 1/4 and 1/8 (stops? yes?). Are these glass or some clever s/w? This wasn't clear from what I read.

I gotta ask . . With the SONY 4K'ers, what, where, when and just how is Canon going to respond? At this level of expenditure.

Off we go . . again . . . .

Grazie

Don Palomaki August 5th, 2014 06:24 AM

The ND are physical filters in the light path.

The sensor is 1/3" (0.333") class,but actually speced at 1/2.84 (0.352"), just a wee bit larger.

David Johns August 5th, 2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Levin (Post 1857176)
Look forward to all reviews.

I just got mine here in the UK; am about to upload the obligatory unboxing and first look to YouTube. Then - lucky me - I have the next few days off work so will be experimenting with the cam and will post up some reviews and tests etc soon after.

Any specific questions or queries, I'm happy to answer if I can!

Cheers
David

Steve Kimmel August 5th, 2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Johns (Post 1857276)
I just got mine here in the UK; am about to upload the obligatory unboxing and first look to YouTube. Then - lucky me - I have the next few days off work so will be experimenting with the cam and will post up some reviews and tests etc soon after.

Any specific questions or queries, I'm happy to answer if I can!

Cheers
David

Great! I'm curious about low-light performance (I know it's not going to be great, but wonder if there's any improvement over the XF100) and the quality of the 60fps 1080p in MP4.

Thanks.

Richard D. George August 5th, 2014 03:02 PM

Good questions. The Canon promo video for the XF205 (search You Tube) that features the Japanese costume performances in the remote village, has some low-light shots. Also, Chuck Westfall, in an interview, suggested that the low light performace was close to the same as the XF300 (not great, but better than the XF100).

Richard D. George August 5th, 2014 03:05 PM

I would be interested to know how the new viewfinder performs outdoors (on paper it is something like 5 times better than the XF100), and it has what appears to be a good eyecup.

I would also like to know how well the "hybrid" image stabilization works.

Also, I think the ND is actually not physical filters, though the promo materials and the new manual are vague about this topic.

Richard D. George August 5th, 2014 03:45 PM

David:

Are you also planning to test it for "banding" when flashes go off (like at a wedding, for example)?

Don Palomaki August 6th, 2014 05:34 AM

The type of ND debate raged in the XA discussions and was finally resolved in favor of a physical filter.that slides into the light path within the lens itself.