XF305 still $6K at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 14th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XF305 still $6K

Owning an XF100, I have been holding off buying a second camera, thinking that with the new Panny PX270 and the upcoming Sony PXW 180 both offering the same (or better) feature list at $1000 less, Canon would be almost giving the XF300 series cameras away. Yet here we are three months past the release of said Panny, and the price hasn't dropped a cent. Is this camera (or the canon codec) so good that it can maintain this $1000 premium?
Scott Hiddelston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XF305 still $6K

With the XF200/205 is the XF 400/405 far behind? (I have no idea).

A major price drop usually means sales are lagging, or they want to clear out inventory before a new model kills sales of the oold..
Old August 15th, 2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Demand from the broadcast industry? BBC seal of approval? Don't know.
I have noticed that all XF models seem to have high re-sale value used, based on B&H Photo Video. Check out their used prices versus new prices. I just checked. A new XF100 is $2,500 (rounded) and used ones are $2,000 to $2,080 (rounded).
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Trustee

The XF300/305 are still very relevant, very good cameras. Canon has a history of moving slowly with new versions but when they do, I've noticed they are ahead of everyone else which keeps the resale up. The XF300/305 is their flagship camcorder. Can't really consider the Cinema cams in the same category. Almost regret selling my 300 but I'm in love with my C100/Ninja!
Old September 13th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: XF300 for event

Hey Guys,

I'm not that experienced with camcorders and I'm getting ready to shoot a sales/marketing presentation, in a Sheraton hotel event room, about 150 people will attend. I think the XF300 would be a decent camera, maybe even overkill, as the final delivery is for the internet, laptops, tablets, and smartphones. The event will be 2-days of 4 hour mornings, with a break after about 2 hours.Audio is critical.

My experience is with shooting DSLR's. Lots of B roll stuff, and some interviews.

I have a small budget, and the equipment I will be using will be rented, so I have some choice, not a lot but some. The XF300 is not real expensive to rent so,my thinking is, it has a good zoom length, it can record to CF cards, I think 64 gig cards will be great for the length of record times, and it records good audio, right?

However, I'm concerned that the XF300's reputation for low-light performance is lacking. I don't want grainy video. I guess the question is what is the beginning level of low-light on a XF300?

Will be shooting wide mostly with depth of focus needed. Some rooms can have good lighting and some not, I can't get there to evaluate it before the shoot. I feel that the XF300 is up to the task, based on what I have researched on, I'm just really concerned about the low light performance.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Chime in Please!
Leon Kolenda is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders