Frame Rate at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 12th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Major Player

Frame Rate

Hi,

I'm shooting a live conference with XF305 and I am wondering about the frame rate. I think I would choose 60p, right? I normally shoot at 24p but that's when I'm making a movie but for a live conference I think 60p would be appropriate. Am I right? Any reason to shoot 60i?

Thanks
Kathy
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Frame Rate

24p would be fine for a live conference as well, 60i or 60p would be appropriate if you would have faster pans to follow a subject, like shooting a soccergame, so the general motion will be smoother. There is nothing wrong in shooting 60i either if your endproduct is dvd.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Noa

The end product will be web not dvd.
I won't be panning too much (at least I don't think I will). One camera will be a wide shot, so it won't change and the other camera will be a close up and I might be panning a bit and zooming in and out.
What is this shot at:
http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_pike..._first_century
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Smith View Post
I'm shooting a live conference with XF305 and I am wondering about the frame rate. I think I would choose 60p, right? I normally shoot at 24p but that's when I'm making a movie but for a live conference I think 60p would be appropriate. Am I right? Any reason to shoot 60i?
The frame rate discussion can turn into a religious argument very easily; be careful. ;-)

I tend to base my frame rate decision on what the final viewing platform will be. That said, both DVD and Blu-ray can handle 24p directly, that is, without 3:2 pulldown, as can most of the HDTVs they are attached to. Internet platforms don't tend to care much these days. Broadcast OTOH is the least flexible. Broadcast will apply 3:2 pulldown to 24p sources to get them up to 30p, which is then fairly easily transcoded into either 60i or 60p.

If you're not going to present it via broadcast, it doesn't much matter technically. Aesthetically it's a matter of personal preference.

That said, I can't see much to be gained by shooting a live conference at 60p. If the presentation is over the 'net, I'd probably shoot at 30p, if over DVD / Blu-ray, probably 24p. I can't imagine when I'd ever want to shoot anything interlaced.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
The frame rate discussion can turn into a religious argument very easily; be careful. ;-)

I tend to base my frame rate decision on what the final viewing platform will be. That said, both DVD and Blu-ray can handle 24p directly, that is, without 3:2 pulldown, as can most of the HDTVs they are attached to. Internet platforms don't tend to care much these days. Broadcast OTOH is the least flexible. Broadcast will apply 3:2 pulldown to 24p sources to get them up to 30p, which is then fairly easily transcoded into either 60i or 60p.

If you're not going to present it via broadcast, it doesn't much matter technically. Aesthetically it's a matter of personal preference.

That said, I can't see much to be gained by shooting a live conference at 60p. If the presentation is over the 'net, I'd probably shoot at 30p, if over DVD / Blu-ray, probably 24p. I can't imagine when I'd ever want to shoot anything interlaced.
Thanks Bruce, that's very helpful!
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders