Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 25th, 2015, 03:54 PM   #1
Tourist

Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300?

Hi Folks

I'm selecting cameras for a 2-camera documentary shoot next month.

I have an XF100 - familiar with it's advantages and limitations.

I have 4 options for the cameras, all different varieties on the XF range: my 100 and a rented 300 or 200; 2 rented 200s, or 2 rented 300s.

Obviously, it'll be cheaper to use my own; my main concern is with dealing with the images in post, so my question is - have others tried to combine footage from the various XF models and how did they go? Seamless . . . or . . . ?

There'll be plenty of low light situations - comments re the ability of each model in low light? (I don't think it's a strong point of the XF100).

Many thanks for any comments and advice.
Justin Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2015, 02:12 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300?

I use an XF300 as a primary and an XF100 as a BCam. Both are very solid cameras. I have had the 300 since early 2011, it is a workhorse. I also use the 100 if traveling and I have to pack light. No problems in mixing footage. They use the same codec and CF cards. Zero technical problems. Worth keeping for the moment, and I don't see the need to upgrade until the 4K discussion gets further sorted. There are low light limitations for both cameras. I guess it depends on what you mean by low light. I tend to light many interviews, outside and inside. I think once you get past +12db the picture gets noisy.

Regards,

Jack Hubbard
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Major Player

Are you able to get the colors to match in camera or just in post? I found a few presets on the forums that got my 105 and 305 close but you can still see a noticibile difference in the colors when I mix them live. It is more prominant in Artificial light compared to Daylight. I mix via the HD-SDI Feed.

Thanks,

-Josh C.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey...I too use my canon xf300 as the main camera and the XF100 as b camera for live events such as dance performances etc and the first times I could notice a noticeable difference in white balance etc but then I came across a picture custom created by another videographer- XF MATCH -which brought them closer in look etc...I can honestly say that I get better results when both cameras are set to XF MATCH...
i'm sure the specifics are available somewhere on the web..these 2 cameras have been very useful to me and even now that I'm tempted to buy a Canon C100 (I have a Canon 70d for some shallow depth of field work...ok for the price) I realize that what I do most-events-weddings etc really are well covered by the XF line since there is enough light available...I never go over +12db gain on my Canon XF300 and XF100- even with some noise reduction settings..+6db is great...I will wait til something better comes out. I'm trying not to be seduced by all the new toys and 4K etc. This is a parttime business for now and these cameras let me do my job well.
now...if only a large sensor camera could also have a fantastic autofocus when needed...then I would get one!
E
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

hello...anyone got the link to the XF MATCH profile please?
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ml#post1779608

This got me pretty close in certain lighting but not all. I had enough business doing 3 camera shoots that I now shoot with 3 305s and they just match.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders