Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 16th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #1
New Boot

Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

I am planning to add the XF200 as a second cam to my X F300. I have a couple of questions for those in the know! When I bought the 300, I bought the wide attachment to aid studio shots when the camera just could not get far enough away from the subject. I'm planning getting the wide attachment lens for the 200 as well , as I'm sure I will hit the same snag..... would anyone have an opinion on the lens as it seems to be also compatible with several cameras in the range? Do you have to have to enable the lens in the menu as with the 300 and with the lens attached, does the auto focus work throughout the entire zoom range? Does it make much of a difference? I would be really grateful for any feedback on this or even a general opinion on the camera.
Thanks. Steve.
Steve Grimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Wrangler

re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

The wide angle attachments tend to come in two flavors;; full zoom through (converter) and partial zoom through (adapter). The full zoom through are more expensive and usually compound (i.e., made of more than one piece of glass). The specs for the attachment you are considering should address the question. The Canon WA-HD58 appears to be full zoom-through.

The conversion lens setting is used because the wide angle attachment blocks the external focus sensor (under the lens). The XF200 manual covers this.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #3
Major Player

re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Why waste money on the XF200 when you can pick up a lightly used XF300 for $3000.00 on Ebay all day?
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Hi Maurice.What makes the X F 200 a waste of money in your view? Clearly you prefer the 300 and to be honest - I did consider a second 300 although I hadn't thought about the second hand route. Budget is an issue but I just thought the 200 would maintain the broadcast standard, whilst using the same media that I use for my 300 and I thought it would bring something different to the table. I am a bit concerned about matching the two cameras in post but have been following a few threads on this issue elsewherein the forum. Thanks for taking the time to reply and I am genuinely interested in your views before I add to basket. Cheers!
Steve Grimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #5
New Boot

Re: Planning on acquiring the XF 200 as second cam to the XF300

Update to the XF200.
Thankyou to Maurice for making me pause before "adding to basket" I started searching for a second hand X F 300 and actually found one worth serious consideration and from the approved dealer I bought the first 300 from. To my complete amazement, on further searching within their site they had Brand new 300's for only £600 more than the pre-owned camera. No hesitation now - a brand new XF300 for £120 more than an XF200 - result! Happy days!
Steve Grimshaw is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders