DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF300 LCD problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/529001-xf300-lcd-problem.html)

Alan McCormick July 4th, 2015 03:34 AM

XF300 LCD problem

Filming yesterday and the LCD suddenly stopped working. I have been through the menus thoroughly and cannot find a setting being the problem. The Viewfinder and HDMI outputs work fine. I use both viewfinder and LCD regularly and have had no problems at all since having this camera from new (470 hours).

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Many Thanks

Alan

Don Palomaki July 4th, 2015 06:49 AM

Re: XF300 LCD problem

Perhaps the internal cable to the LDC panel has come loose?

Alan McCormick July 5th, 2015 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1891556)
Perhaps the internal cable to the LDC panel has come loose?

Is that something I can do myself?

Don Palomaki July 5th, 2015 06:32 AM

Most folks do not have the technician skills required to do it, but a few do. The first issue is finding sufficient service information on the camcorder to be able to disassemble it sufficiently to reach the needed nooks and crannies. And there is no assurance it is just a cable (although that has happened with other camcorder models that have swing-out displays). You might need other parts.

I do not have an XF300 so I cannot comment on it. I trust it is out of warranty at this point. I would check with Canon service (at least in the USA) on the basic price to send it in for service and checking the LCD rather than risk taking a nominally US$4k camcorder apart. If your time is worth anything, then the cost to send it to Canon is probably less than the investment in time and energy to DIY if you have not taken the camcorder apart before. But google (and other search engines) to see if the problem pops up - you just might find a fix posted somewhere if it is a common issue..

Mark Watson July 5th, 2015 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone is selling an LCD on E-Bay for $200.

LCD Screen Display Part for Canon XF300 XF305 Video Repair New | eBay

Mark

Alan McCormick July 5th, 2015 02:53 PM

Thanks Don, I have contacted 2 companies in the UK for advice and quotes.

Alan McCormick July 10th, 2015 06:17 AM

Update:- Sent my XF300 to Canon repair in Elstree North London UK and got an email today saying it is prepared and on its way back :-)

Steven Davis July 10th, 2015 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan McCormick (Post 1892025)
Update:- Sent my XF300 to Canon repair in Elstree North London UK and got an email today saying it is prepared and on its way back :-)

That's great. Sending a camera in for repair is like sending a relative into the hospital. Glad it's on the way back. Let us know the diagnosis.

Alan McCormick July 10th, 2015 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1892027)
Sending a camera in for repair is like sending a relative into the hospital.

Sure is :-) Should know Monday

Alan McCormick July 10th, 2015 07:16 AM

How typical - the day I don't have my camera we get a free flypast by "The Red Arrows Display Team"

:-(

Ann Bens July 10th, 2015 05:31 PM

They are too fast to film anyway ;-)
Last year I saw them in Muscat-Oman, they were terrific.

Alan McCormick July 14th, 2015 05:33 AM

"Perhaps the internal cable to the LDC panel has come loose?"

100% correct Don - well worth getting it fixed at Canon though as I am now up and running for the next shoot :-)

Graham Bernard July 14th, 2015 11:34 PM

I've used Elstree before. Good service and they gave my XF300 a clean AND fitted back some of the covers that had gone AWOL. They also did a Firmware UG for free!

My System battery needs replacing which is NOT a User fix. Need to get some timescales from them.

Glad you got it fixed.

G

Alan McCormick July 15th, 2015 02:00 AM

Hi Grazie - seems to be the business so far - I am surprised about the internal battery comment. If I had realised I would have got that done at the same time :-(
How long have you had yours now?

Graham Bernard July 15th, 2015 09:45 AM

I\'ve had mine 4 years.

Today I had the system battery replaced. In at 12:20pm out at 14:40pm - marvelous! - What a company.

Grazie