DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Clear display while recording.. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/530065-clear-display-while-recording.html)

Steven Davis October 17th, 2015 08:56 PM

Clear display while recording..

Ok, stumped. Didn't see it in the manual. How do you clear all the information fron the display while recording or playback. It's no superimposed or anything. With my old Sony cameras, I could set a button to clear the lcd. Can't seem to figure it out on the Canon XF 300.

Thanks in advance.

Steven Davis October 19th, 2015 08:00 PM

Re: Clear display while recording..

Well

I called Canon Professional Services and I was really surprised that it's not possible to clear the display with a hot button. They said I could go into custom picture and take on thing off at a time, but I found it really odd that you couldn't link the clear to a button.

Oh well. Can't predict the future on every purchase.

Roger Van Duyn October 20th, 2015 06:01 AM

Wow. Canon had a nice setup on the XH-A1, A1S, G1, G1S with four buttons grouped together: DISP, PEAKING, MAGN., and RECORD REVIEW.

But from the manual I found online, I see Canon changed this with the XF series cameras. If Canon had left things the same, DISP button would solve your problem.

Sorry, can't believe Canon would be so dumb. Those four buttons arranged together are so nice on the XH series. Even the MAGN button has been moved to a worse place on the XF series, but at least the camera still has one. I feel your pain. I use the DISP button fairly often on my cameras. It's nice toggling through the various display options.

Speechless.

Doug Jensen October 20th, 2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Davis (Post 1900753)
Ok, stumped. Didn't see it in the manual. How do you clear all the information fron the display while recording or playback. It's no superimposed or anything. With my old Sony cameras, I could set a button to clear the lcd. Can't seem to figure it out on the Canon XF 300.
Thanks in advance.

It has been many years since I sold my XF305, so please excuse me if I am wrong on this, but I believe you can clear the screen of all data with the DISPLAY / BATTERY INFO button.

According to the XF305 training video I produced a few years ago:

"The button serves two purposes: First, when the camera is off -- and a compatible battery is attached to the camera – you can press the button to check the remaining charge of the battery without actually turning the camera on to do it. The second use of that button is even more important because it allows you to instantly hide all of the on-screen displays that are shown on the LCD Monitor and Viewfinder. Although you can use the camera’s menus to pick and choose which of the various on-screen displays you want to see, this button is handy for times when you quickly want to clear the screen of all information."

MASTERING THE CANON XF305 & XF300 CAMCORDERS

Is that the answer you're looking for?

Steven Davis October 20th, 2015 07:15 PM

Hey Doug,

That's exactly what I was looking for. That is very helpful. If it was a snake it would have bit me. Thanks again. I'll be sure to put a good word in for you at Canon.

I sit corrected.

Mark Koha October 22nd, 2015 08:42 AM

I have a tendency to hold my camera like a football in my left hand while waiting to shoot stuff and always end up bumping this button.