Firmware updates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 2nd, 2016, 02:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Firmware updates

Just to let people know, Canon today released useful updates: wide dynamic range, highlight control mode and low noise mode (or words to that effect!).

I think it's great that they continue to offer more versatility to this great camera and it's another reason I will stick with Canon and get the C300mkII (also updated this month).

edit: should have added that these firmware updates are for the XF300 and XF305, although I think that's probably clear from where I posted.

Last edited by Stewart Hemley; June 2nd, 2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: add info
Stewart Hemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 06:49 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Firmware updates

I still use this camera every day at work and it still blows me away. Stupid question though, if I do this update will it automatically put all the previous updates on there? I never did the one where it gives you the different digital zooms and was thinking about getting it.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Mark

No problem. I was on version 1.0.1.0, must be the original! and 1.0.8.0 went in fine. One thing you need to do is download the latest manual, it's on the Canon site, and that will tell you how to get the new profiles - around p.120 I think. Basically, you select the correct gamma in the picture profile menu. You can still alter some of the settings, but not all - some are what determine the profile. I find the basic colour great except I find it a bit on the red side so I tone down the RG to -6. Here's a really useful link with some guides for the best settings:

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/ne...305_report.pdf
Stewart Hemley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

has anyone updated yet? any good?
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2016, 02:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes I did. It seems to offer much improved DR. Haven't blown it up yet, but what I saw looked good.
Old August 15th, 2016, 12:37 PM   #6
Tourist

Be careful guys. I’ve managed to “kill” main board on our xf305 with firmware update. Followed guidelines from official Canon site. My recommendation is to do it in authorized service. Replacing main board in Europe is around 1.000 Euros. :(
Jaksa Bakoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 03:17 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I did it on one camera out of three I won, with no problem, but when comparing I felt that there was hardly any real world benefits to be honest.
Ian Chapman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders