I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old September 16th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts?

no mention of histogram but it did mention these;

Audio:
Recording MPEG-4 AAC-LC (16-bit 2CH) / LPCM (16-bit 4CH)
Control Manual or Auto
Reference Tone 1KHz, -12dB / -18dB / -20dB / Off
Microphone level metre Yes

System:
Panel:
Type LCD Capacitive touch panel
Size 3.5-inch (8.9 cm)
Dots (approx. 1.56 million dots)
Adjustable Yes

Waveform Monitor No
Focus Assist Yes. Focus Guide Function in MF
Peaking Yes. Selectable Peaking Colour: Red / Blue / Yellow
Zebra Yes. 70%, 100%
Markers Yes. Horizontal (grey) / Horizontal (white) / Grid (grey)/ Grid (white)

its pretty spendy at €3,627.

R

Last edited by Rob Cantwell; September 16th, 2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added Price
Rob Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:04 AM   #17
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
its pretty spendy at €3,627.

R
Ooo.... I didn't see that! Thanks Rob.

Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #18
Wrangler

USA prices posted on the Canon web page as of today:
XF400 - US$2999
XF405 - US$3499
VAT must be substantial

SDHC/SDXC cards strike me as more readily found and lower cost than CF, a plus. However, the smaller size is a mixed blessing at best, especially for less nimble fingers.

Weight fully decked out - 3.7 lbs, body only 2.5 lbs
In comparison the XA20 body is 1.7 lbs

Size (body only) is 5.3x3.6x8.4 inches.
in comparison the XA20 - 4.3x3.3x7.2 inches.

So while it has the shape/look of the XA20/30, it is roughly 50% heaver/larger.

No power consumption (watts) listed. Assuming equal power consumption density, I would expect the BP-828 to provide 67% of the run time it provides with the XA20.
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:45 AM   #19
Major Player

Hi, I am keen to order one also, but I have never had a canon before, the main thing I am look for is the option to have a remote and cable plugged in, (not keen on wireless) the remote needs to have Iris/ zoom / focus
Are the world option ?

Rob

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Robert, these camcorders have a LANC / Control-L jack for wired remote zoom, focus and rec.

VariZoom, Manfrotto and other controllers will work just fine with the XF400/405.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:14 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi I am needing Iris / focus / zoom / rec not fused on the brend, any thoughts

Old September 20th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #22
Major Player

My XF305 and XL-H1A allowed me to adjust all those things you listed, including iris. I have the now discontinued Canon ZR-2000 remote. If you can find one, I recommend it. Be careful getting a Manfrotto remote. I got one that is integrated with a pan handle and the attachment screw at the rosette is not compatible with my Sachtler FSB-6 or FSB-4 fluid heads. There was an adapter to make it work but no longer available. The ZR-2000 has a very nice zoom rocker, and you can set it for variable, or choose 1-16 fixed speeds. Since the XF400 is really lacking the ole' XF DNA, it may not give you remote control of the iris, but I'd bet that it does.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #23
Inner Circle

These new cameras look exciting for the price point. I own the C200 and the 80D and one thing to be aware of with the touchscreen focusing, at least on the C200, it is nearly unusable on medium to long focal lengths. Why you ask? Look at the screen placement and design on both the C200 and the XF-400/405. Yes, cantilevered out on the left side of the camera.I've tried it with the touchscreen flipped up top in the middle like the C300 MKII clamshell and it only helps mitigate the vibrations from touching the screen minimally. On the 80D, the touchscreen for face detection and racking focus is pretty simple to use, I fly mine on a Zhiyun Crane gimbal. But on the 80D, the touchscreen can be flipped around and tucked into the back of the camera and pushing it to set focus points is pretty intuitive and pressing the screen to select faces or objects doesn't tend to be visible in the footage. But on a gimbal, I am typically using the EF-S 10-18mm STM IS F4.5-5.6 lens, sometimes the 24mm 2.8 STM. With such wide FOV, a lot of the little bumps and nudges get covered up. But use longer focal lengths and things change.

Take the screen on the C200, which is way out in front of the operator on the left of the camera and you are shooting an interview, often with an 80-150mm focal length. Even light touches of the screen become visible in the image at those focal lengths. These new cameras, with a 15X zoom but also with a smaller, lighter weight, will have the same challenge, possibly even worse. The DPAF and face detection is excellent technology, I love it. But actually using it, in the real world, on client shoots, can be frustrating. At least with the C200 and C300 MKII, the faces/focus points can also be selected using the grip joystick. It appears that on these new cameras, it is only selectable using the flip out screen. Not trying to rain on Canon's parade, these cameras look immensely appealing for a lot of uses, I may end up buying one once I pay off the C200 and buy enough CFast cards. The touchscreens though, need another generation of engineering on mounting points, cantilever factors and adjusting the responsiveness to a lighter touch for them to be universally useful at all focal lengths.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
... not fused on the brend...
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with this phrase and therefore have no idea what it means. Maybe it's a Texas vs. Australia thing. Translation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
XF400... may not give you remote control of the iris, but I'd bet that it does.
I bet it does too, but I'll try to find out for sure. Main thing is finding a LANC controller that does exposure adjustment. The ZR2000 you mentioned had that capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
responsiveness to a lighter touch
Have you tried a soft-tip stylus? I can send you a DVi-branded one that has a flashlight and a frickin' *laser.*

Post of the day, Dan, many thanks for sharing your insights.

I love the EF-S 10-18 and the EF-S 24 f/2.8. They are the inexpensive hidden gems in the Canon line.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:41 AM   #25
Major Player

Sorry can't spell :) or had a few 🍻 Who knows,, , it was ment to say Brand. I was asking if there was a remote that will work on the new XF405 that will allow focus/iris/zoom , I am not fussed on what the brand is.

***also what will the network port to be used for , maybe possible the new NDI ?

Old September 24th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #26
Major Player

Have you seen this Canon remote? Looks like it will do everything.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_rc_v100.html

You didn't mention a budget.
Attached Thumbnails
I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts?-canon-remote-controller-rc-v100.jpg  
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:23 AM   #27
Major Player

Well that's wonderfull and all , but out of the budget, I was hoping for a 3rd party one, , well hope to find one.

Old September 26th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #28
Major Player

The third party ones are a little cheaper for what they claim to do, but usually look very non-ergonomical; just a metal box with knobs and buttons. I still think the best solution would be to find a used ZR-2000. Failing that, possibly go with the Manfrotto. Like I said though, it has a weird attach screw size and won't work with my Sachtler head, unless I use the optional rod clamp, that allows you to clamp the Manfrotto to any size pan rod. I got the clamp and didn't like the extra slop that it introduced, even though it was minimal, it would cause my fluid head to tilt a little whenever I started a pan. My next solution is to sacrifice one of my Sachtler pan rods, cut its handle off, and weld the Manfrotto to it. The metal tubing looks too thin-walled to have any threads cut into it for a more elegant solution. Moving on...

It's just under $1,000, but Sony has a new remote, and it has iris control. The RM-30BP. This might be my next luxury item purchase. I don't think you will find anything under $250.

Might want to post a want-to-buy (WTB) message on the forums and see if you get lucky. Also, check B&H Photo's used gear section.
Attached Thumbnails
I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts?-sony_rm-30bp_04.jpg   I pre-ordered the XF400 - thoughts?-manfrotto-remote.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Mark Watson; September 26th, 2017 at 12:58 AM. Reason: solar storm interference
Old September 26th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #29
Major Player

Thank u mark

Old September 26th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #30
Major Player

There are two ZR-2000 remotes on eBay. This one for $350 and a new, in-the-box one for $500.
https://www.ebay.com/i/302198514813?rt=nc

B&H has some Manfrotto remotes in their used gear section. I think there was one for $220.

All my Sony and Canon LANC remotes are interchangeable between both brands of camera. My old Panasonic AG-DV30 has a different remote setup and I would be afraid I'd fry something if I tried plugging the Canon/Sony remotes into that camera. Point being, if you buy a Canon remote, then later get a Sony camera, they will likely work well together.

Mark

P.S. Sorry for all the diversion folks, now who has some thoughts to share about the XF400?!
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders