Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old February 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #196
Obstreperous Rex

The reason why it would be more expensive than the XH A1S is due to the high
probability that it will include HD-SDI, GenLock and TimeCode In / Out, putting
it more on par with the cost of the XH G1S instead.

However, I suspect that Canon most likely will offer a version of this camera
*without* those jacks, and its price most likely will be in line with the XH A1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #197
Major Player

I hope Chris. I hope that they have a model around the $4000. I can't wait to be on the NAB and see if I'm one of the first lucky guys to hold that baby on my hands!
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #198
Major Player

Do you think that they will release the XL H1S equivalent of this new camera at NAB as well? As in, will they release all of the models at NAB at the same time?

I am interested in whatever replaces the XL (or whatever the highest end shoulder configuration version they come out with).
Old February 10th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #199
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Not everyone needs better low light performance than 1/3" imaging chips can deliver. The glass is pretty much a sure bet to be pretty dang decent, ..........
But no matter how good the lens may be at it's optimum aperture, you can't ignore the effects of diffraction or of depth of field. Hence it will always have a more limited iris range than a bigger chipped camera, and dof control will always be worse. That's quite apart from low light issues etc, and smaller photosites are also likely to make for worse dynamic range.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #200
Inner Circle

I would guess on an XH-G2 w/SDI and an XH-A2 without (but probably have HDMI).
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:16 AM   #201
Obstreperous Rex

It won't be "XH" since the model numbers change along with the format (recall the that HDV successor to the XL2 was not designated XL3 but rather XL H1). I believe the XH designator is tied to the HDV line, which is going away. My own guess is that the model number will be something like "XF" (the F is for flash memory), perhaps XF A1 and XF G1, but nobody outside Canon knows for sure, least of all me.

Similarly for the likely-to-happen interchangeable lens version, which will probably keep the XL mount... it won't be "XL H" as that was the HDV format. I'm guessing "XL F" instead (the F is for flash memory), as in XL F1 or XL F1A (without SDI) and XL F1S (with SDI). Something along those lines.

Old February 12th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #202
Major Player

They shouldn't bother with two models anymore, the sony NXCAM give you HDSDI for roughly $5000cad while the XHG1 is like $8000cad, it makes no sense. No way in the world these ports are worth a $3000 premium now, this isn't 2005.
Old February 12th, 2010, 03:10 AM   #203
Major Player

I agree with you on that one Evan.
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #204
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
They shouldn't bother with two models anymore, the sony NXCAM give you HDSDI for roughly $5000cad while the XHG1 is like $8000cad, it makes no sense. No way in the world these ports are worth a $3000 premium now, this isn't 2005.
Actually I think they should still do the 2 models. The XHG1 type model should come down in price instead. NXCAM still has the AX2000 sibling which is in the 3's which is the price range of the XHA1.
Old February 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM   #205
Obstreperous Rex

I think Canon will probably offer two models since that's what Sony is doing (with the NX5 and AX2000). At the SuperMeet presentation last week in San Francisco, Joe Bogacz said that the new camera will have a very attractive price point. I agree with Evan that the days of a $3,000 premium for SDI are finished. I'll bet they'll try to hit the Sony prices.

Old February 13th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #206
Regular Crew

When Canon releases their interchangeable lens model, I hope for a sharp viewfinder like Sony's EX3, that the XLR jacks are on the side and NOT on the back of the camera like on the XLH1. Nothing is worse than your jacket brushing the mic cable and ruining your audio. Also the camera must be approved by National Geographic and Discovery HD for 100% content before I'll consider buying. I plan on upgrading from my XLH1 and I hope Canon won't disappoint.

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #207
Trustee

I actually prefer the XLR jacks on the back rather than the side.

The main improvement would be to the viewfinder to help improve manual focussing.
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #208
Inner Circle

And you'll also need a proper focus ring for that too!
Steve
Old February 14th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #209
Trustee

I've got used to the MF rings on the 20X and 6X lenses, and the iris ring on the 6X is a nice addition; although I also got so used to using the aperture adjustment tab on the XL camera bodies that it doesn't now overly bother me when using a lens without an iris ring.

The wide ring on the black XL 16X MF lens does provide a nicer manual focus control, although full manual lenses do tend to provide a better 'feel' compared to the MF rings on fully electronic lenses. Similar could be said about the difference in MF between older Nikkors and later AF and 'G' Nikkors.

I do a lot of manual focussing, and almost 100% of tripod work is in MF, but there are times during run-n'-gun shooting that AF is a big help. Decent AF & IS, revolving viewfinder plus motorized zoom during filming are probably the four major items I'm going to miss more than anything if I ever finally go full 100% DSLR for my filming.

I'll be interested to see the price in UK for the "XL-F" interchangeable lens version. I've got a feeling that it will be even higher than the previous XL-H1s. It will also be very interesting to see if they bring out one or two completely new HD lenses with the body, or just a slightly updated 20X.
Old February 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #210
Major Player

I saw the mock-up version at the DVexpo in London today. The lens is considerably bigger than the XHA1, as is the camera generally. Of course it was in a perspex box so i didn't get to see much, but there was an XHA1 near by and it definitely looked significantly larger. A rep said it had L quality glass too, but they had little other info on it. An Apple guy was going through the FCP workflow with some clips Canon had sent them, but unfortunately i only caught the tale end of it. So not much to report, but i'll have another look on Thursday if i make it down to Earl's court.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders