Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:21 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec

New Canon MPEG-2 Codec chosen for file-based professional video camcorder
promises compatibility with industry-standard editing & processing software

TOKYO, February 2, 2010 — Canon Inc. announced today the Company has adopted an MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) file-based recording codec for a new professional video camcorder currently under development. The Canon MPEG-2 Codec will enable high-quality imaging and audio performance with up to 50 Mbps data recording and twice the color data of HDV*1 profile formats. File-based recording helps video operations realize greater efficiencies during post-production processing, making it an ideal format for many industry applications such as newsgathering, documentary filmmaking and event videography.

* MPEG-2 Full HD compression and 4:2:2 color sampling
The adoption of MPEG-2 Full HD (MPEG-2 4:2:2P@HL compliant) compression enables the recording of 1,920 x 1,080-pixel full high-definition video. Additionally, compared with the 4:2:0 profile format used in HDV and other standards, 4:2:2 color sampling offers twice the volume of color data, providing double the level of color resolution.

* Maximum 50 Mbps data recording
With approximately twice the data volume of HDV, the Codec supports higher resolution and increased color data to enable the recording of high-quality video.

* Industry-standard MXF*2 file format
MXF (Material eXchange Format) is a widely supported open source file format for the recording of video and audio and metadata, developed to suit the latest editing systems used by broadcasters.

Canon partners with major editing and processing software

With the adoption of the MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) file-based recording codec, Canon is working in cooperation with Adobe Systems Incorporated, Apple Inc., Avid Technology, Inc. and Grass Valley to ensure compatibility with major editing and processing software programs widely used within the video imaging industry. Additionally, at future industry events, Canon intends to demonstrate the overall video-production workflow, from initial video capture to clip-trimming and final editing, with video clips stored in a file-based recording system and using industry-standard software applications.

Advantages of File-Based Recording
File-based recording enables video and audio data to be managed and stored by file, much in the same way as computer data. It supports efficiency throughout the production process, from initial video capture to final editing through the entire workflow. Additionally, file-based recording provides users with the flexibility to utilize different editing environments and workflow solutions without the restrictions associated with some other video recording formats, helping to reduce investment costs.

*1 HDV is a standard for the recording and playback of high definition (1,440 x 1,080 pixels) video and audio on DV-format cassette tapes
*2 A format for professional digital video and audio media defined by the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:28 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Looks like Peter is going to have to upgrade to MC 4.0.5... :) AMA is the future Peter!
I'm holding out for a color correction overhaul in MC and better audio. Hopefully, MC 5 will be all mine.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

"File-based professional video camcorder" refers to this article: Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam

Previous discussion thread (read only): Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam -- Discussion Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Wow, that is MASSIVE news.
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:09 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Note that they have "adopted an MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) file-based recording codec". So is this a new implementation of Mpeg-2 at 50Mb/s or are they using the XDCAM HD 422 codec and file structure? I hope it's the later as this means no extra importers or new codecs and the system will work out of the box.

It's what is not revealed in the announcement that is interesting. Form factor, sensors, recording medium.. it might not even be solid state.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

From the release it sounds like it won't be the XDCam version as they are talking about working with Apple etc to get compatibility sorted which they wouldn't need to do if it was XDCam.
Also, I suppose you're right about it not implicitly stating it's solid state but I think it's a safe bet - what else could it be, do you mean optical discs or something similar, what else is there?
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM   #7
Inner Circle

There's pictures on the Canon article which shows the form factor - not going to keep shoulder shooters happy - and also has size that indicates 1/3" chips and CCDs. Maybe the pictures were a red herring and they've done a complete redesign. After all the article predicts AVCHD codec!
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:20 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Might not be the same camera. There could be more than one new camera. According to Vincent we'll hear more on the 8th.

My money would also be on solid state, but it would be nice if the MXF files were the same as the XDCAM ones, in the same way that the NanoFlash 50Mb/s MXF files can be directly written to an XDCAM disc. This would be better for everyone in the long run creating an industry standard but giving us end users a choice of camera manufacturers.

I hope it's 1/2" CCD's. It would tick all the right broadcast spec boxes and be good for all the lightning filming that I do.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Could they do that? The XDCam file structure etc is not property of Sony?
I'm sure this will sart up the rumours again. If they are going for EBU spec 50 mb/s will they also go for EBU spec 1/2" chips? They mention full 1920x1080 so presumably that's what it'll be, and 720 seems easy to implement a la EX3. So, we'll have a 1/2" CCD camera, 50 mb/s, full rater 1080 and 720, with variable frame rates upto 60 in 720, and an off the shelf adapter for Canon SLR lenses. I'll have one!
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I expect the file structure on the XDCAM discs is proprietary. But the 50Mb/s Mpeg2 within the MXF file is probably not and this is the important bit. With a NanoFlash you can shoot 50Mb/s mpeg2 MXF's and dump these MXF files directly on to an XDCAM disc. The XDCAM device creates the full file structure, all you need is a compatible MXF file.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
There's pictures on the Canon article which shows the form factor - not going to keep shoulder shooters happy
I'm the author of that article. In it I have mentioned the strong possibility that yet
another new model waits in the wings; a shoulder mount version of the mock-up
which is the subject of the article.

Quote:
Maybe the pictures were a red herring and they've done a complete redesign.
No, neither Canon nor DV Info Net do red herrings. Remember, this piece was shown
under glass by Canon at InterBEE and at HD Expo, just as they did before with the
XL H1 at IBC in 2005. It is for real -- trust me.

Quote:
After all the article predicts AVCHD codec!
Not anymore. I have updated it per the info about the new codec:
Canon Reveals Their Next Pro Video Cam -- Announced Format
Hope this helps,

Old February 2nd, 2010, 05:54 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Might not be the same camera. There could be more than one new camera.
There most likely is more than one new camera; the other being a shoulder-mount version of the XH replacement we've been talking about (in other words, an XL H replacement). Rest assured however that the press release about the new codec is most definitely tied to this specific camera (and other versions of it, which very possibly include a shoulder-mount form factor).

Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If it does tick the broadcast HD specs, organisations like the BBC could buy hundreds to replace the Z1s assuming Sony don't match it
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:26 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Only problem I see is that it's not likely to be 1/2" CCD as that would push the price too high for where they would probably be aiming. The only way they could go 1/2" would be CMOS and apparently they are not going to.
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:36 AM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

That's right. I'm pretty sure it's three 1/3rd-inch CCDs, although I'd love to be wrong.

Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders