Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:53 AM   #31
LA FCP UG

Joe Bogacz of Canon will present the first US public introduction of Canon's new MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) file-based recording codec and workflow to the industry and will also introduce the first US public preview of Canon's upcoming file-based professional video camera at the San Francisco SuperMeet. Oh yeah!

Still tickets left. Be the first on your block to see this.

Ninth Annual San Francisco SuperMeet
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I'm a bit disappointed Canon chose to go with MPEG-2 compression in their new cam. [...]

It won't be long until AVC is just as easy to edit (give it a year or two) as MPEG-2 is today, and editing AVC is quite reasonably manageable currently.
But AVCHD only supports 4:2:0, so I'm guessing they had to use something else if they wanted to offer 4:2:2.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #33
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Chilson View Post
...if we see you listing any XL mount equipment in the next day or two with "reduced for quick sale" as a heading, it could be suspicious.
Ha. Well, I can say that I've been planning to sell my XH A1
for awhile now, but haven't had a chance to do so yet.

I'm attending the FCP SuperMeet that Michael refers to in his
post above, and would be delighted to meet with any fellow
DVi members while there.

It wouldn't surprise me if the "under glass mock-up" is shown
there, since Canon USA's presentation is based on its codec.

Edit: Oops, I missed this earlier: "...will also introduce
the first US public preview of Canon's upcoming file-based
professional video camera"
-- so let's say that I'm looking
forward to seeing it there!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 12:21 PM   #34
LA FCP UG

I didnt know you were coming Chris. Thats awesome. Finally found a guy who will buy me free drinks.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM   #35
New Boot

Can you please keep us up to date once you have had the super meet. I wish I could be there but already went to Aitutaki for the holidays so I don't think my wife will let me fly off to the states.

Chris, will you update your article after the supermeet?

Michael, r u planning to have a supermeet down under for the aussies and kiwis? (sorry for the change of subject chris)

Cheers
Ratu
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
I'm a bit disappointed Canon chose to go with MPEG-2 compression in their new cam. That choice seems a little short-sighted (to me), when you consider that this cam (and siblings) is likely to constitute Canon's pro camcorder offering for the next half decade.

It won't be long until AVC is just as easy to edit (give it a year or two) as MPEG-2 is today, and editing AVC is quite reasonably manageable currently.
So are Canon supposed to wait another two or three years for computers to get to the point where they can edit 3 or 4 streams of native AVCHD in realtime or release a camera now which should be perfectly capable of producing top rate HD pictures? It's highly debateable as to whether AVCHD is better than Mpeg2 at 40Mb/s plus bitrates anyway. AVCHD is optimised for low bandwidth, sub 15Mb/s use and this is where it excels. Most of those optimisations do nothing other than increase CPU load when it's used at high bit rates.
What happens in 3 years time, sensors will have moved on, codecs will change etc. There is a market that exists now for easy to edit, high quality HD cameras, Canon can't ignore that if they wish to stay in the pro market.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania Ratu View Post
Chris, will you update your article after the supermeet?
You can count on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
There is a market that exists now for easy to edit, high quality HD cameras...
I think ultimately that's what they were looking at when they choose this codec... ease of editing with current NLE configs.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:49 PM   #38
Major Player

I am a bit disappointed if it has 1/3" sensors (which seems to be the general consensus). I love my Canon XL-H1 but the light sensitivity bothers me. I hope they improved the sensor a great deal like they did with their DSLR lines over the last few years.

It is going to be an interesting year with both Scarlet and this coming out. And I hope Panasonic will also release a camera or two this year.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:03 PM   #39
Inner Circle

It makes sense for Canon to release the new codec with a tried and true imaging section. It's not unlike Intel's tick-tock strategy where they alternate upgrades to the chip architecture with upgrades to the size of the process technology.

Once Canon establishes their new data strategy, the next shoe to drop would be sensor and other imaging changes.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM   #40
Inner Circle

But presumably they won't use the same chips as in the XL-H1 as they were 1440x1080 rather than full raster - that would be a real negative move.
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM   #41
Trustee

If they decide to use Progressive chips than I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets less pixels than 1440x1080 unless Canon came up with some breakthrough technology to keep the heating under control and use 1920x1080 progressive chips. Today’s technology should be easy to do 1280x720 progressive but maybe the chips are something like 960x1080 progressive. Since you don’t hear anything about 720 60p than maybe the chips are 1920x1080 interlaced. I’m really hoping that it’s progressive chips because 720 60p is wonderful to have.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM   #42
Obstreperous Rex

Sensor blocks in the XH and XL H series camcorders employed H-axis pixel offset, which provided greater-than-full-raster resolution. Nobody ever complained of image softness in those cameras. The number of pixels on the chip is only one part of the total equation that determines recorded resolution.

Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:51 PM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post
If they decide to use Progressive chips than I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets less pixels than 1440x1080 unless Canon came up with some breakthrough technology to keep the heating under control and use 1920x1080 progressive chips. Today’s technology should be easy to do 1280x720 progressive but maybe the chips are something like 960x1080 progressive. Since you don’t hear anything about 720 60p than maybe the chips are 1920x1080 interlaced. I’m really hoping that it’s progressive chips because 720 60p is wonderful to have.
Do you mean because it's CCDs? With CMOS it's easy (look at EX1 and others).
Steve
Old February 2nd, 2010, 02:57 PM   #44
Trustee

Yes, CCDs heat up more.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Yes, I understand that means that you need a bigger body for larger sensors like 2/3" but does it actually affect how many pixels you can put on the chip?
Steve
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders