DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon's Next Pro Video Cam -- Photos from the SuperMeet (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/475149-canons-next-pro-video-cam-photos-supermeet.html)

Chris Hurd March 19th, 2010 12:18 PM

Canon's Next Pro Video Cam -- Photos from the SuperMeet

Three pages of photos of the new cam from the San Francisco FCP SuperMeet...

Canon’s Next Cam — Photos from SFO SuperMeet, Pt. 1 at DVInfo.net
Canon’s Next Cam — Photos from SFO SuperMeet, Pt. 2 at DVInfo.net
Canon’s Next Cam — Photos from SFO SuperMeet, Pt. 3 at DVInfo.net

Steve Phillipps March 19th, 2010 01:08 PM

Any sign of an interchangeable lens version?
Steve

Chris Hurd March 19th, 2010 01:44 PM

Not shown or mentioned, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Dan Keaton March 19th, 2010 02:32 PM

Dear Chris,

Very nice!

Also, nice work reporting on this new camera.

Lorinda Norton March 19th, 2010 02:57 PM

CH, you are just too cool for words. Great info and pics, and I love your questions--just makes me all the more interested, you sly dog! Thanks!!

Andy Wilkinson March 19th, 2010 03:15 PM

Looks great!

Pat Reddy March 19th, 2010 03:38 PM

Hey, a real eyecup and nor more wiggly mic parts.

Pat

Evan C. King March 19th, 2010 06:24 PM

The article indicates that there might be two models again, split by the ports. I really hope not. I think that's pointless these days, HD-SDI is no longer some super expensive unreachable feature. I mean the Sony NX5U is giving it to you for 4 grand. The sales of the A1 vs the G1 have to be something like 10:1 or greater. Canon, don't dilute the market with useless models, all of two people will fork over another 3k for those ports.

Tim Polster March 19th, 2010 07:51 PM

I wonder about the weight.

In the quest to make these cameras look a certain way, they are almost too big for anything other than tripod/mounted work. Which would be better served in another form factor like a true small shoulder mount.

The camera looks pretty large in that gentleman's arms.

Jeff Anselmo March 19th, 2010 09:02 PM

Like everyone else here, I'm pretty excited when this camera comes out.

We're holding off buying an HD cam (upgrade from the XL2), as we've been working full time with a university and currently shoot with their Sony F335. (So a smaller cam will be a welcome relief after our project ends sometime next year :)

I rather thought that I settled on getting the EX1R, but since we're in no hurry, will wait and see what Canon rolls out, and what early adopters think.

Best,

Michael Wisniewski March 19th, 2010 09:20 PM

I like the re-designed ergonomics, the new location of the LCD, the extra screw mount on the handle, hopefully better weight distribution from ditching the tape mechanism. The extra wire holder on the mic mount. All the new little doo-dads on the lens look interesting.

Chris did you get a sense if the mic mount is shielded better from vibrations on the body? And what do you think that switch is on the front of the mic?

Ronan Fournier March 20th, 2010 02:18 AM

Thanks for the pictures, they are much better than the previous ones.
I really hope we'll have more than this mock up during the NAB now.

Lorinda Norton March 20th, 2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 1502335)
I wonder about the weight.

I'm hoping it weighs at least as much as the old XL1s. Steady hand-held work [for me] really suffered switching to the XH A1. I'd rather my arms suffer than the image.

Sean Seah March 20th, 2010 12:57 PM

looks similar to the size of EX1r

Steve Rusk March 20th, 2010 02:59 PM

Hope the insides are similar to an EX1r too...
I'm most struck by how studio-friendly it appears to be, far cry from it's early GL origins.