Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #151
Inner Circle

Chris .. try using your own cards and slip one in in the hiatus don't forget to format it. To remove it shout LOOK! and point up at the ceiling. Have a great trip.

Cheers.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #152
Major Player

haahaha....this sounds like the same conversation I had with my biz partner over 14 years ago. We purchased an Ikegami HL-V55 in 1996. At the time...was one of the best betacam sp camcorders around IMHO.

At NAB...all the nice lighting is fine. I took the camera...spun it on the tripod...and shot up in the rafters of the LVCC and found the darkest area I could find. Then...pushed the gain.

Plus...also shot down an aisle in the mixed lighting at NAB...and could look at how the camera handled the mixed lighting.

That was then....this is now...

BTW...to get back on topic.

HDV will be around for awhile. It's a fine format for many things...

I've learned over the years not to be "snobby" about quality anymore. Use the tools and what they are intended for. HDV is super for many types of projects. When it's not...you go to something else. Nanoflash recording, HDCam, XDCam HD...etc. Use the tool for the job.

it's hard to think about that today...with multiple formats, codecs...etc. In the "old days"...you picked a format and stuck with it. Today...the playing field is VAST...and that's sooo cool...it's taken me a bit of time not to 'fight' it...but embrace it. So many options...that you can own for specific jobs. I still love my H1 and will use it for MANY jobs...but probably my next cam will be the Sony PDW-700 XDCam HD for other type of work we do.

Will I look at the new XF305 ? YOU BET...and buy one...yeah......if I can find some jobs that are perfect for it's design !

ENJOY NAB everyone ! Leaving on Sunday !

PS:...Chris...you do a great job with this site...and it's great to see all the people on the site in wonderful discussions like this.

Last edited by Kevin Martorana; April 9th, 2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: correction
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:26 AM   #153
Major Player

Thanks for the pics Chris. That looks just like the set up in London. Perhaps it IS the set up in London?
The travelling Canon roadshow!
Enjoy the trip.
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #154
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
It's a great idea, but I don't have any 82mm filters and I'm heading to the airport in 36 hours.
I was really thinking along the lines of a selection of 4x4s, as used in a matte box, and just holding them in front for the purpose of this. Then the same filters could be applied to different cameras regardless of filter diameter. I don't suppose anybody going to NAB could take something along for Chris to try?

Failing that, then yes, at least putting all the camera ND the camera possesses in and gaining up may give some idea - it just won't give a comparitive result between the Canon and other cameras.
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #155
Inner Circle

If I get the time I'm going to take my ex1 over to the canon booth and put it side by side with a 300, that should be quite telling.
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:43 AM   #156
Major Player

That would be awesome Alister. A personal opinion on comparable gain settings between the two to your naked eye would be appreciated :).
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #157
Obstreperous Rex

Alister's opinion would be worth a lot more than mine!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
Again with HDMI is HD-SDI output really that important to most of us? I totally agree that it is silly to charge that much just for HD-SDI but with HDMI output I just don't really need it.
It's not just SDI output, it's also genlock and timecode in and out.

SDI can be used for very long cable runs, well over 100m.

TC in and out means that all cameras on multi camera shoots can have matching TC, greatly speeding up sync in post.

And genlock is a must for shooting stereo 3D, it's the best way to insure that the cameras are truly in sync.
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #159
Major Player

You gotta love it...11 pages in 3 days and I think it was 6 pages the 1st day. The cameras looks great and addressed A LOT of things people have been asking for....stops on the lens, bigger LCD, and a surprise to me, HDMI on the lower priced camera, not to mention the impressive new codec. I look forward to seeing them on Monday morning. I think for the under 10k crowd, these cameras are going to do very well.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Old April 10th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #160
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
If I get the time I'm going to take my ex1 over to the canon booth and put it side by side with a 300, that should be quite telling.
PLease please please do!
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #161
Regular Crew

I bet the Sony folks breathed a sigh of relief when seeing the price points in the press release.
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #162
Major Player

With all the respect for Sony, the EX-1 build quality is the worst I have seen the last years. Compare that to the XL-H1 or XH-A1... they are miles apart. I was going to trade in my XL-H1 for an EX-1 a year or so back... until I tried the EX-1 of a friend of mine. Handling and build quality were so disappointing that I decided to wait for a better camera (i do love the image quality of the EX-1)... still waiting but I have faith I will succeed this year. The XL-H1 still gets the job done, despite some major annoyances (low-light, focus control, viewfinder...). Judging from the press pictures, the XF series is going to have a very rigid build quality as well.

And you can't judge the image quality when you haven't seen it. It's always the combination that counts.... image sensor size, processing, lens and codec. This camera is using CMOS censors which Canon is very experienced with... so it could well be a low-light beast.

Wait and see, then judge.
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #163
Major Player

Yes, the XL-H1 definitely still gets the job done.

So much so that for me, I think I'll hold onto my XL H1S for the time being, although am interested in the performance of this new Canon.

Anyone think the next XL version will have different specs than the XF? With the XF305 priced at 8K, I can only wonder what the new XL will be priced around...
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #164
Major Player

At least you have the XL-H1S... some nice improvements like the lens rings, focus speeds, firewire 400 (6-pin)... my biggest gripe with the XL-H1 are the zoom/focus rings and the viewfinder (although I got used to it). Thought about getting the Ikagami but at this moment, I have decided only to invest in universal gear (wireless lavalier system, external monitor, anton bauer system, field audio recorder etc.). When the moment comes, I exchange the camera in my filmmaking system... but the system itself stays in place.

I hope to stay with Canon (I work for them now, since they took over Océ, dutch printing company, which I happen to work for). Maybe I can get them cheaper now from inside the company... I was also very fond of Panasonic in the SD days... so I think my new gear will come from either Canon or Panasonic... or maybe RED if they deliver someday.
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #165
Major Player

Yeah, I understand Floris ... I've become more meticulous with equipment upgrades these days. With these cameras being so good already, I feel like investments in accessories that make production and workflow work much smoother are much much better investments. My XL H1S has made its investment cost back several times over already and I still have many clients that love what comes out of it. In fact, I'm overbooked these days with production work, but I guess thats a good thing :)

I'e been thinking a lot about purchases I want to make in the next couple weeks. One of them is the Nanoflash for the XL ... can't stop debating whether I should buy that for my current camera or invest towards this new XF.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders