Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #121
Inner Circle

Thanks Chris - couldn't see it anywhere on their spec sheet.
Old April 8th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #122
Trustee

Wow! 2.8? So that's where a good chunk of the asking price is coming from! I'd love to have one but it's too far out of reach for now! Maybe the rental houses will pick them up though! The major one here is already hip to the 5D and has a couple that are always out on gigs.
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #123
Trustee

Before you get overly excited about 2.8 at full telephoto, my $2000 FX7's do 2.8 at full zoom too.

It's too early to definitively say these new cams are overpriced but that was my initial knee jerk reaction along with many of you.

-Ethan Cooper

Last edited by Ethan Cooper; April 8th, 2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old April 8th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #124
Regular Crew

I suspect as well that a lot of the cost of this camera is in the lens. If it's truly L series glass, we might not see the CA issues prevalent in prior cameras.
Old April 8th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #125
Major Player

My Canon XL-H1 has L glass too and does have CA issues. So don't get your hopes up high.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM   #126
Major Player

hmmm...why don't they take a 7d chip...put it in that body...with all the connections...and then add a removable lens...that works with all Canon EF lenses...

wouldn't that solve some issue....give people the DOF they want, removable lenses, the recording they want...

and then...add an external flash drive for high rate recording, instead of the 50mbps.

BUT...here it is...the XF305....

I'm still amazed at the price...when the 7D still camera is (body only) $1300.00 US.

Wish I could get a job a Canon as R&D....I'd take as many of your "wants"...and put it into a camera for 9k. !!

Okay...back to dreaming....I'll have to look at this closely at NAB.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #127
Regular Crew

...internal security would bury you right next to the guy that developed the 12-300mm 1.2 lens for under $200
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #128
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Martorana View Post
why don't they take a 7d chip...put it in that body...with all the connections...and then add a removable lens...that works with all Canon EF lenses...
Sounds obvious, doesn't it?

In reality it's not that simple. See the conclusion of my article at
APS-C or Full Frame CMOS Sensors? Not Happening in 2010 for the
explanation why.

"...many videographers wondering aloud if Canon will build a dedicated
video camera around such large sensors, with a properly motorized lens,
XLR audio jacks and an ergonomic form factor conducive to recording the
moving image. The short answer is no.

The longer answer is NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. At least not yet, not
this year anyway, with several important reasons why it’s not going to
happen anytime soon. And here they are."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #129
Major Player

"hmmm...why don't they take a 7d chip...put it in that body...with all the connections...and then add a removable lens..."

You mean why don't they undermine their lucrative business in 20 grand lenses to put out a 6 grand camcorder?

hmmmm...Probably because they're not stupid.

Many posters here seem to forget that these companies are trying to make a profit, and that a surefire way to fail would be to produce something that makes their more high end models redundant. The first company to give DVinfo members what they want is likely to go bust very quickly, though i do wonder why a company like JVC don't push their heads above the parapet since they don't seem to have much to lose. Sony, Panasonic and Canon have vested interests in maintaining the status quo.

Actually Chris Hurd has already written an excellent article on why the DSLR technology has yet to make it into camcorderland. In the meantime i'm very excited about this camera which i suspect will be a serious contender alongside the eX1 and others when i upgrade later this year.
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #130
Obstreperous Rex

The really short answer, if you want a reason that doesn't
involve corporate politics, is that the lens just doesn't exist
yet -- and probably won't for awhile.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 8th, 2010, 07:31 PM   #131
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
What will be interesting is if the light gathering of the larger 82mm glass will be an equalizer to the EX1's larger chips?
I was wondering that too Tom.

As well .. 3 onboard ND filters will hopefully avoid the need to add an external one which I have to do on almost every sunny day shoot with the XH-A1.

Any details on the audio .. do they have limiters?

Cheers.
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #132
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
"hmmm...

You mean why don't they undermine their lucrative business in 20 grand lenses to put out a 6 grand camcorder?

hmmmm...Probably because they're not stupid.

Dom,

I'm the first to agree that every company has to stick to their profit makers. I'm just amazed that with the continuing dropping prices of this technology....they (Canon, JVC...etc) don't diversify a bit more.

Canon has done that...it seems...there are quite a few different camcorders in their line...in the 'couple of thousand' range. Probably more than any other company.

I'm looking to spend 40k plus on a new camcorder at NAB. I own a H1 and paid 9k for it. I thought it was INCREDIBLY cheap at the time...for the quality...and still love the camera.
But with camcorders now costing anything from 4k to 10k...it's amazing the quality coming from these tech wonders. And of course...don't you think Sony, Panasonic and even Canon are DELIGHTED to produce cameras at that level because they can probably sell 8 to 1 in that price range vs. a 40k camcorder?

Thanks Chris for the excellent article on whey a 7D chip can't be used in a current camcorder configuration.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #133
Major Player

Kevin

40K to spend? You lucky man. Any ideas what you're going to get?

"it's amazing the quality coming from these tech wonders."

Absolutely!

What amazes me is the image quality coming from many of the consumer camcorders. I saw clips playing from 600 quid cameras on the Canon stand at Earl's Court and was blown away. In fact it's sometimes hard to tell them from the prosumer models costing 10 times as much.

I also saw fantastic looking clips from Panasonics £2000 mini hmc41, but even the £500 cameras produce stunning pictures. I'm thinking of getting a "consumer" camcorder and just renting when i have a job that needs a "proper" camera. I still have my 5d mkii which i love, but i'm just not busy enough to justify having £5000 of camcorder sitting in its case at the moment.
You must be doing some serious business to be looking at 40k cameras. I wish you well, and let us know what you end up with.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #134
Inner Circle

Bear in mind though, that while the image straight out of a camera may look superb, once it's been down the edit chain, and even more so down the broadcast transmission chain it can often go downhill rapidly. This is where higher-level and more expensive codecs come in, coupled with better optics and processing.
Steve
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #135
Major Player

Good point Steve, but am i not right in thinking that the images from the HV20 for example, are identical to the XH range of cameras as far as codec's go? And of course we want the manual features that the more pricey models have, but there are consumer models around that can seriously compete with the Pro cameras for a fraction of the price. It certainly makes sense to own one of these as a second camera IMO. I doubt most of my clients would be able to tell the difference.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders