Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #166
Major Player

Michael, surely the benefits of the nanoflash will be covered by Canon's new codec? And then there's the new Canon L-lens that i suspect will be top-draw for the price. And lest we forget, the sensor which - according to Barry Green - the Panasonic folks have come up with at 1/3 inch, at least equals the EX1.
In spite of the skepticism on this thread, the new Canon range look very interesting imo.
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #167
Regular Crew

What are the chances that the XL versions of the XF series will take the XF's price point when they come out and the XF version will lower in price?

Also, when can we expect sample footage? ;-D
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #168
Major Player

.... hoping to see some photos/news posted online here today from folks at NAB Show of the new Canons!
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #169
Major Player

This thread is getting massive, so I am trying to shortcut to an answer to this question. Does anyone know about record times on CF cards with these two cams? Is there 2/4/GB file size limit?

-steev
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #170
Obstreperous Rex

There is no clip length limit. Record a long single shot up to the capacity of the card.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #171
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Yeah, I understand Floris ... I've become more meticulous with equipment upgrades these days. With these cameras being so good already, I feel like investments in accessories that make production and workflow work much smoother are much much better investments. My XL H1S has made its investment cost back several times over already and I still have many clients that love what comes out of it. In fact, I'm overbooked these days with production work, but I guess thats a good thing :)

I'e been thinking a lot about purchases I want to make in the next couple weeks. One of them is the Nanoflash for the XL ... can't stop debating whether I should buy that for my current camera or invest towards this new XF.
That's a tough call Michael. If the form factor of the XL series is important to you style of shooting, then the Nano-flash would be a good add-on to that. Additionally, it should be an option for just about any camera you upgrade to and thus becomes more universal. If I am not mistaken doesn't it go much higher than 50mbps also....for the time that you need to do chroma key and compositing work and need "super" clean shots?

To be clear, if this were an XL series replacement at this price....I'd go that route for sure. But even though the XL series is flawed ergonomically (compared to true ENG) it is still better to me than the XH, HVX and EX1 styles where you hold it in front of you.

Still this looks like a hot camera.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #172
Regular Crew

Michael,
what do you think about the AJA Ki Pro instead of the Nano Flash? I have the AJA I/O HD, and its awesome. The only issue is if out on location,then you have to be tethered to a MacBook Pro or a MacPro, which means power outlets and everything else.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #173
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
That's a tough call Michael. If the form factor of the XL series is important to you style of shooting, then the Nano-flash would be a good add-on to that. Additionally, it should be an option for just about any camera you upgrade to and thus becomes more universal. If I am not mistaken doesn't it go much higher than 50mbps also....for the time that you need to do chroma key and compositing work and need "super" clean shots?

To be clear, if this were an XL series replacement at this price....I'd go that route for sure. But even though the XL series is flawed ergonomically (compared to true ENG) it is still better to me than the XH, HVX and EX1 styles where you hold it in front of you.

Still this looks like a hot camera.
Hey Marty!

Hope all is well.

Yeah, the Nano goes up to 280mbps so it gives visually uncompressed looking images. I think its a fantastic upgrade for the XL. THe XL form factor is what I'm so used too as well, so I am leaning towards the Nano.

But the new cam does look nice, hence my hesitation in buying still ... sigh ...
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #174
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory Dillard View Post
Michael,
what do you think about the AJA Ki Pro instead of the Nano Flash? I have the AJA I/O HD, and its awesome. The only issue is if out on location,then you have to be tethered to a MacBook Pro or a MacPro, which means power outlets and everything else.
Well thats the thing. I used to have the AJA IO HD for live capture, but the Nano allow s me to shoot all the time with the HD-SDI port, as it mounts on the camera.
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #175
Major Player

Played with it today - Awesome!

I'm looking at either one of these or the Sony EX1R, and I went as a doubter even though I own the XHA1 and love it. So, I went to the canon booth at NAB, aimed the camera away from the lit live models and into the shadows - and wow. The low light ability is amazing. And Clean. Whatever magic Canon was working on to make these 1/3" CMOS chips rival the 1/2" Exmors of Sony is working.

I'm going to take a memory card with me tomorrow and see if I can record some footage to it.

The most impressive thing was the lens. A real manual mechanical lens. Even has gears on the iris, zoom, and focus for remote motors or manual follow focus equipment. The lens was amazing.

Lonnie
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM   #176
Major Player

Thanks Lonnie for that first impression!

I'm also saving up for an upgrade to an HD cam, and have had my sights on an EX1R (even the wife has agreed to the upgrade--Woot!). But since Canon's announcement, I thought I'd wait and see how these Canon cams compare.

Can you please let us know specifically which compact flash you'll use (and the specs)? And would frame grabs or actual footage be too much to ask?

Best,
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #177
Major Player

That will be the intention, Jeff. I'll load it, shoot it, and let DVINFO host it (if they will). I'm also assuming they haven't crippled the cameras so that they don't record. We will see tomorrow...

Interesting tidbit: in the outer shadows of the live models they have, I zoomed into two soda cans that were about 12 feet away from camera. The cans were about 2 inches apart (one being behind the other less than two inches). Iris wide open, full telephoto, I could rack focus within those shadows making one can readable and the other not - and this was in a fairly unlit area. Pretty impressive shallow focus for 1/3" chips. My XHA1 couldn't do that. And no noise either!

Lonnie
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #178
Trustee

Well the DOF should be identical on the new camera and the old camera as they are the exact same sensor size. Perhaps the feel of the focus ring allows you to pull off this maneuvaer a little easier and obviously there should be less noise since this is a next generation camera. The other variable is the fstop is 2.8 at the extreme telephoto end of the lens which is pretty good. I don;t recall what the XH series was but it had to be aleast 3.2 or 3.4....right? That would help the shallow DOF a little I'd think.

I do know my 16x manual lens on my XL-H1 holds the fstop at 1.6 all the way through the 16x zoom range. It's quite a marvel but honestly shows a decent ammount of CA if I leave it wide open and zoomed max. But it did allow me get some creative shots.
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #179
Major Player

Hey Marty,
Yes same sensor size, but a new sensor built specifically by Canon to use with their lens (and codec too, but the codec isn't playing a part in the camera's front end obviously). You could be right about the f-stop being wider - i didn't look. But if the sensor is more sensitive or more light is allowed in or both, this would allow for a more shallow depth of field too, would it not?

All I know, is that I couldn't have done it with my XHA1. And another caveat is: this was solely judging by what I saw in the camera's lcd and a non-top of the line Marshal on-camera monitor. Both images were noise free. But that's why I'd like to record it to a card and come home and look at it in the NLE and post it for you guys - that will make us all smarter.

This is superior technology though - no doubt about it. I'm betting it may give the EX1R a run for the money. And yes, you are right about the lens - it did feel good too!

Lonnie
Old April 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #180
Major Player

Hey, anyone who is at NAB, can they ask Canon about anything regarding the next iteration of the XL series?

I couldn't go last minute to NAB this year due to work I have to do here in NYC.

I'd love to know any information if possible.

Thanks!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders