Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 12th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #181
Major Player

Lonnie, that is awesome! Thanks for the report :). Please push the gain and see what kind of noise characteristics the cam has.

Appreciate the report!
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #182
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
fstop at 1.6 all the way through the 16x zoom range. It's quite a marvel.
It is indeed quite a marvel if this is so, and it comes as a big surprise to me. The stock 20x zoom starts out at a good f/1.6 (but a feeble wide-angle equivalent of 39mm) but is only f/3.5 at the tele end. I know the 16x zoom costs a good £1000 but I had no idea it was this fast right throughout its range.

The XF does indeed have an f/2.8 maximum at full tele, but it's a shorter (18x vs 20x) zoom than on the XH, which has an f/3.4 maximum at full tele.

tom.
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #183
Trustee

Tom,
I can verify this to be 100% true. Even though it seems impossible as fixed aperture zooms are usually super expensive. I discovered this several years ago when shooting wedding reception and I found the 16x to be ideal in low light. I didn't understand as much about the relationship of fstops and light gathering....so at the time a f3.2 to f.1.6 didn't "sound" like a big difference. But in a poorly lit reception hall it was huge!

Also, just like this new lens, the 16x has hard stops so when in doubt, you can whip it to the infinity setting and knw that everything beyond 2-3 feet in front of the lens would be in sharp focus. This is helpful in no scripted chaotic shooting.

I just double checked the listed specs for the 16x xl manual lens and it is listed as having an Fspec of 1.6. It doesn't list a range which is typically how they list it if the fstop varies over the zoom range.

The drawback to this lens is that it has no image stabilizer though, which the new canon series we are discussing here does. Big + for that.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #184
Inner Circle

We must be talking about fifferent lenses then Marty. The 16x manual Canon zoom I've always known has been the $1500, 5.5-88 mm - F/1.6- 2.1. Here's a typical site that lists it:

Canon Lens - Optical Zoom: 16X Zoom - 5.5-88 mm - F/1.6- 2.1 (Anitec.ca) at BEST PRICE

OK, it only loses 3/4 of a stop from wide to tele but you've still got to almost double the light in the room to use full tele - or bump the gain by 5dB. So where does your '100% true' come from?

But then again most 16x zooms lose more like 1.5 stops, a noticeable difference.

tom.
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #185
Trustee

I will test this over my lunch hour to see. My 100% true is based on when I zoom to maximum telephoto the fstop 1.6 stays there all the way through. Now....is it possible that the indicator says f1.6 but the actual lens is stopping down to f2.1? I suppose. I will be shocked if I go test it and it actually says f2.1 as I have been using it for better than six years and never noticed it. But there is a slim chance I am wrong so I guess I shouldn't have said 100%....should I? I'll let you know in a bit.
Old April 13th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #186
Regular Crew

Does anyone have some opinions for using the xf cams with a 35mm adapter? I am more picking out the light loss and how it may still handle the image. The A1 with a redrock and 1.8 does me well though any slight chance of an under exposed situation and the image will crumble in post. This is my main reason for a new camera. The ex1 handles the adapters very well so far with what i have seen, but due to the sensors the xf may not work as well with it. Keep the A1 for eng and buy a 5D for stuff i would use the 35mm look? Thanks for the input.
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #187
Trustee

All right. Last post on the 16x manual for the XL series in this thread by me. I can 100% confirm my 100% confirmation from earlier that the lens holds the f1.6 from the widest point to the most telephoto point of the zoom. The fstop indicator never changes and to my eye (unscientific but experienced enough to detect anything major) the iris never changes. If it does change at all it is very, very minor and is not visible or detectable via the camera's interface.

Regardless, the new lens on the xf300 series will be every bit as good plus have great IS to boot. f1.6 to f2.8 isn't bad either!
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #188
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
All right. Last post on the 16x manual for the XL series in this thread by me. I can 100% confirm my 100% confirmation from earlier that the lens holds the f1.6 from the widest point to the most telephoto point of the zoom. The fstop indicator never changes and to my eye (unscientific but experienced enough to detect anything major) the iris never changes. If it does change at all it is very, very minor and is not visible or detectable via the camera's interface.

Regardless, the new lens on the xf300 series will be every bit as good plus have great IS to boot. f1.6 to f2.8 isn't bad either!
Hey Marty,

How do you like this lens on your XL H1? Having 1.6 constant aperture sounds fantastic for low-light event shooting.

Do you find it resolves similar detail to the stock lens? How about CA?
Old April 13th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #189
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Sorry, this is the first thing I asked them yesterday. All of the XF models they have are pre-production market test samples which are definitely record inhibited.
Chris,

Any chance you can ask Canon about the XL version of the XF cams?
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #190
Inner Circle

Marty - it's easily tested. Fill the screen with something like an evenly lit wall. Shoot at max wide-angle and max aperture. You might need to up the shutter speed and / or apply ND filters so that your lens really is wide open. Shoot a couple of seconds.

Now zoom to full tele. Shoot another second or two without altering any of the settings. On the timeline you'll be able to jump forwards and backwards across the join. Just compare the centre of the screen as the edges will be vignetted by a stop and a half - which is very normal.

tom.
Old April 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #191
Trustee

I've started a new thread in the XL-h1 forum for any further discussion on the 16x manual XL lens. Just trying to keep this organized and focused on the new camera. See my responses over there please.
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #192
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I have to say, though -- these came in at higher prices than I expected ($8000 with SDI and $6800 without SDI). Honestly I had figured they would be much closer in price to the XH series.
Hey Chris. It was good to meet you at the Canon booth as we were both drooling over the XF Series.
I have to say, It is really intriguing to see Canon step up the on this camera. The footage in the Canon Demo room looked incredible. Although I love my NXCAM and I still would like to see some lowlight footage from this camera, I am very interested and happy to see the bar be raised.
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #193
Major Player

Woah... I just watched a video over at FreshDV. They interviewed Canon's Chuck Westfall about the XF cameras.

When he was asked about the Dynamic range of the camera, Chuck states that it will be around 11 to 12 stops.

If true, thats pretty incredible!
Old April 13th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #194
Regular Crew

thanks for the mention of the freshdv coverage. i truly cannot wait til i can get my hands on one. could someone elaborate on what they mean by the 11 to 12 stops for dynamic range.
Old April 14th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #195
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Woah... I just watched a video over at FreshDV. They interviewed Canon's Chuck Westfall about the XF cameras.

When he was asked about the Dynamic range of the camera, Chuck states that it will be around 11 to 12 stops.

If true, thats pretty incredible!
That is massive if that is true....believe it when we see it
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders